Minutes for: Open Business Dance Meeting - 2014
 Minutes   2008  |  2009  |  2010  |  2011  |  2012  |  2013  |  2014  |  2015  |  2016  |  2017
Policies (as of Feb 2017)  Read   pdf   •   Original Vision Team Report  (from 2003)  Read   pdf
  JANUARY 9, 2014 - Thursday - Open Dance Community Business Meeting   -   download PDF    

Location:  Jamil's's home / 7900 Ashworth Ave. N., #8, Seattle / 206-697-5077 / jamil@serve.net
Convener:  Murad-Phil / 425-483-6511 / phil.notermann@gmail.com
Scribe:  John
Present: Martha (Voice For Peace); Hayra; Phil/Murad (Facilitator); Jamil; Brian;
Helen, Krsna Das and John.
Interim committee: 
   Jamil: 206-697-5077 / jamil@serve.net
   Murad-Phil: 425-483-6511 / phil.notermann@gmail.com
   Brian: 425-485-2019 / brian@briandina.com

We started out with a seated “Thy Light is in All Forms” dance.

INTERIM COMMITTEE REPORT: The interim committee (current facilitator, and immediate past facilitator and Voice for Peace) reported it had formally approved about $25 for the purchase of additional rental time at Keystone for the special Lord’s Prayer in Aramaic Night.

It was agreed that any action taken by the Interim Committee would be a standing item for each agenda of the Planning Committee.

TREASURER’S REPORT: Approximately $2050 current balance.
2013 mean average of income from the weekly dances at Keystone-$108 with a range from $55 to $162. Mean average attendance 25.

POLICY COMPILATIONS ON THE WEB: It was decided to designate the page on the website (“Seattle DUP”) listing policy compilations “Policies”. Significant progress has been made in finalizing the placement of key policies decided
over the years onto that spot on our website.

Martha and Helen will report more next month on that.

SOCIAL EVENT COMMITTEE: Jamil reported that the committee had not met and that focus for now would be on 30th Anniversary Celebration.

It was agreed that it would be tentatively scheduled, depending on conflicts with other DUP/Sufi events in the greater Puget Sound area, for either 3/22 or 3/29 <Scribe’s notethese dates now been ruled out>. Martha will provide Jamil with the contact information for related groups. Jamil, John, Tasnim, and Helen will serve on the committee, with Brian available as well mainly by phone. Murad to be consulted about tentative dates he could coordinate with Keystone, where we plan to convene for an event that will be planned for either some portion of, or most of, a full day.

It was agreed to authorize up to $500 for this event, though some request for donations will be made which will cover some, if not likely all, of the cost.

EVALUATIONS FROM CAMP BURTON WEEKEND/EVALUATING
USEFULNESS OF RECORDINGS:

Hayra and Martha reviewed the evaluations from the Camp Burton Regional Retreat the Seattle DUP sponsored again this past Fall 2013. The weekend was well received. More specific summary will be send via US Mail to those present at this evenings Planning Meeting. Martha will remind Stephen about sending her the recordings of the music from the weekend, so we can send along to participants with a request for feedback as to its usefulness. Update next month.

FOOD BANK NIGHT RESCHEDULING: As per our discussion in November, we authorized Hayra to confirm the date (probably 1/22/04 but ASAP), and coordinate notice via the DUPNW list serve of the next time we would donate the evenings “take”, along with any other in-kind donations, to NW Harvest.

THERMOSTAT AT KEYSTONE: Due to it reportedly taking a # of hours on very cold days for our dancing space at Keystone to heat up to 68 degrees, Murad will discuss with Pastor Rich at Keystone re: the thermostat being “turned on” earlier than 6:30pm on some Wednesdays.

Murad will report back at the next meeting.

NEW DANCERS INVITED TO “BE OUR GUEST”? - Due to the current reminder already being made, almost every week, re: donations (including the advice to come even if unable to contribute), any offer for new dancers to “be our guest” vs. make a donation, was considered as excessive verbiage. The matter was deferred indefinitely.

FRAGRANCE FREE DESCRIPTION ON FLIERS: Some discrepancy was noted in
our policy re: our events being fragrance free, the language in fliers being stronger than
the policy (in caps with 3 exclamation points), and compliance with the strictest aspects
of the policy on the part of some regular dancers.
It was decided to change the fliers, on next printing, to request “no fragrances, please, if
possible”, and to discuss in private with a few of our regular dancers their use of
“natural essences”.

INSERT IN NEXT YEAR’S HOLIDAY CARDS: It was noted that one other local DUP Community which volunteered time and stamps to send out Holiday Cards (including solicitations for contributions to the North American DUP) had enclosed a “Hello”. We decided to do the same next year in the cards which we send.

LINK TO A DANCE AND DATING WEBSITE: We decided not to accept an offer to have a hyperlink from out Seattle DUP website to a dance and dating website.

YOUNG LEADERS/MUSICIANS/DANCERS AT FALL RETREAT (CAMP BURTON):
Hayra wanted to discuss her possibly partially reimbursing some young Dance Leaders, Musicians and DUP Dancers from this general area, and around the country, to come to our Regional Fall Retreat.

The idea was discussed briefly, and deferred for possible further discussion next meeting.

PROMOTION FUND: Hayra also is offering to fund promotion of the DUP locally, and is looking for feedback and collaboration from the Planning Committee.
Some initial discussion, but deferred substantially to the next meeting.

GLOBAL PEACE DANCE (New Year’s Eve) 2013 AND 2014: Deferred to next meeting.

Concluding Dance: “Healing Time”.

NEXT MEETING
(2ND Thursday): February 13TH/2014 at Phil and Helen’s in Bothell.
Carpooling planned.
Jamil to facilitate, (206) 697-5077 / jamil@serv.net
John to scribe.

Interim Committee:
Jamil - (206) 697-5077 / jamil@serv.net
Phil/Murad - (425) 483-6511 / phil.notermann@gmail.com
Martha - (206) 367-0389 / inoffice@dancesofuniversalpeace.org

Notes from Planning Group for DUP 30th Anniversary   download pdf
===1/29/14=======================

Present: Brian, John, Jamil, Helen, Farishta, Tasnim

1. Rental at Keystone Saturday 5/10/14:
  • Downstairs 12pm-7pm; we will not use the kitchen and must leave the area clean for use by the church the next morning. The church is giving us a price break ($25/hr) for the use of the downstairs, because of the anniversary.
  • Upstairs 6pm-10pm
  • Event to run 2pm-9:30pm
2. Program will probably alternate Dances with other activities:
  • Excerpt from Sunseed and/or Anahata's video Eat, Dance and Pray
  • Updating the Time Line
  • Panel of long-time leaders/dancers
  • Testimonials
3. Task list:
  • Save the Date announcement to dupnw and other lists: Jamil (done)
  • Flier posted to website, forwarded to Facebook etc (Brian)
  • Food coordination--Jamil and Helen. Likely we will provide a simple soup and ask for potluck from attendees.
  • Photos made into slide show--Farishta, Tasnim, call to community, Brian possibly to assemble
  • Dance Coordination--????
  • Set-up/clean-up coordination--?????

4. The suggested donation will be $10-15

5. Next Meeting: at Keystone Church  /  Wed-Feb 12  /  6:30pm to 7:25pm (just before dance)
  FEBRUARY 13, 2014   -  Open Dance Community Business Meeting      download pdf      

DUPP Meeting    2/13/2014

Meeting began c. 7pm at Phil & Helen’s in Bothell.

Present: Phil/Murad, Hayra, Lesley, Martha, Brian, KD and John.

Lesley agreed to be the Voice for Peace. Brian agreed to facilitate.  

* Action Items marked below

First Dance “Allah, Allah”

ANNOUNCEMENTS:

·        Fazil (aka Frank Olivier), a long-time dance leader in Berkeley, who was present at our dance meeting last night, is putting on his show Twisted Caberet again this weekend and next weekend at Hale’s Ale in Fremont.

·        There were 6 new dancers at the Dances last night, including one who had danced in Hawaii for a time.

·        There are 20 different Dance Leaders scheduled to lead in the next quarter at the Seattle Wed. nt. Dances.

·        The 30th Anniversary Celebration for DUP in Seattle is now set for Saturday 5/10/2014 at Keystone 2-9:30pm to include a potluck dinner, dancing, sharing, and remembrances.

TREASURER’S REPORT: Currently $1600. We have been averaging about $1500 balance. $241 was recently donated to NW Harvest by the Dances on the night that all the “take” went to NW Harvest.

POLICIES ONTO THE WEBSITE: Martha brought a 3 page summary of salient policies from Helen (drawn from past minutes), which the Planning Committee will review in the interim for completeness and clarity, before finalizing approval at the March meeting for their inclusion onto our website. (Brian also reported that he had put the minutes back to 2008 onto our website already).

PLANNING FOR 30TH ANNNIVERSARY CELEBRATION:

·        Brian and John, on the 30th Planning Committee (3PC), reported that Helen and John are now co-leading that Committee.

·        Brian passed out a copy of the ½ page colored announcement of the event which he drew up and was reviewed and slightly modified by the 3PC.

·        * The 3PC created a # of subcommittees for which we will be seeking volunteers.

·        * Lesley agreed to chair, with Brian’s help, the Dance Leading Subcommittee.

·        * The Program Subcommittee will keep that committee apprised of the # of Dance time slots likely to be available, so that planning can be done in terms of Past Dance Leaders leading Dances during the day of celebration.

GLOBAL PEACE DANCE:

·        Though the 2013 GPD was not sponsored by the Seattle DUPP, there was a report on the New Year’s Eve Dances of Universal Peace and Meditation evening. It was well received by those who attended, with an average of 20 dancers present at any time during the evening.

·        Lesley held the primary role in facilitating the event this year, with Hayra available for support and oversight. It broke even financially and the hall at Phinney Ridge Lutheran Church is currently reserved for next year.

·        Hayra brought up that New Years Eve 2014 is on a Wednesday and suggested consideration of letting go of the Keystone venue for that night, since it cannot be rented past 10pm, and so that 2 concurrent events could be avoided. * Phil to follow up with Keystone church

·        Some change of financial sponsorship could also be considered this year, though Hayra will likely choose to maintain oversight of the elements which concern Dance Leaders.

·        * Brian will bring up at the April Dance Leader’s meeting that the DUPP may consider canceling the regular Wed. night dance, which falls on New Year’s Eve 12/31/14, in favor of the Global Peace Dance.

·        * At our June meeting, DUPP will review the situation re: 12/31/2014, and consider a formal relationship with the Seattle Global Peace Dance.

CAMP BURTON:

·        Music  Recording Feedback-Stephen/Matin needs a couple more months to complete the compilation from the Nov 2013 event. (There have been some technical glitches). We still plan to send it out, once it arrives, with request for feedback as to its usefulness.

·        * Evaluation Summary-Martha is still working on its completion.

·        * Planning for 2014 Vashon Retreat to begin at March meeting with formation of a planning subcommittee with special task of selecting leaders and facilitating production of a flier.

OTHER BUSINESS

·        * THERMOSTAT AT KEYSTONE-Item deferred. Phil/Murad will check later with the Church re: the thermostat being put on before 6:30pm on very cold evenings.

·        * FRAGRANCE FREE FLIERS- Item deferred. The process of modifying these fliers is a somewhat complicated process.

·        Encouragement Of Young Dup’ers To Come To Vashon Retreat-Some general discussion, but no outcome or further plans to discuss any particular proposal at this time.

·        * Promotion Of Dup Locally: Hayra will convene a brainstorming meeting with those interested (John, Lesley and KD at this point).

·        * Sufi Calendar Link On Our Website-It was agreed to delink the Sufi Networking Calendar from our website, since it is now unmonitored, and therefore possibly not reliable.

·        * Review Of Backup Plan For Key Roles- Item deferred to next month.

Closing dance-Melting Snow.

 

NEXT MEETING
Location: meeting at John Birnel’s  719 N.68th Seattle 98103
      jbirnel@comcast.net / (206) 782-6129
      6pm Potluck, 7pm
Convener: Martha - (206) 367-0389 / inoffice@dancesofuniversalpeace.org
Scribe:
Interim committee:
   Martha (206) 367-0389 / inoffice@dancesofuniversalpeace.org
   Lesley/Rabia kneads4u@comcast.net
   Brian: 425-485-2019 / brian@briandina.com
 Minutes   2008  |  2009  |  2010  |  2011  |  2012  |  2013  |  2014  |  2015  |  2016  |  2017
Policies (as of Feb 2017)  Read   pdf   •   Original Vision Team Report  (from 2003)  Read   pdf
  MARCH 13, 2014   -  Open Dance Community Business Meeting         download pdf            

Seattle DUP Planning Meeting           3/13/14

Location:  John B's home
Present:  Martha, Helen, Elizabeth, Brian, Krsna Das, Hayra, Lesley, John,
Facilitator (Martha), Scribe (Helen), Voice for Peace (Hayra)

Dance:  Ganesha Sharinam

Announcements:  none

Treasurer's Report:  $1989 in the treasury. 
A summary of donations in 2014:


Average donations were not breaking even ($77 average per Wednesday), but this was brought to the attention of the Circle and donations increased.

Keystone Church: The church was contacted about turning the thermostat up earlier on cold nights and was agreeable.  Murad is requested to ask about how to open windows in the summer.  If the church doesn't have a long pole, we might consider getting one ourselves and ask for storage. 

Camp Burton evaluations:  Hayra and Martha compiled the evaluations.  No major problems were identified, though there were many minor suggestions.  Numerical scores were almost all "good" or "excellent."  Hayra will ask Murad, Matin and Karima if they want to see the evals. 

2014 Camp Burton committee:  Martha and John volunteer; they will recruit a third member.  They plan to consult with Portland leaders, as well. 

30th Anniversary: 

     People have been identified to fill all the roles needed to prepare for the event except for food co-ordination.

     Farishta and Wakil are putting together a media presentation and have asked for photos, particularly of the first 10 years.  A display of hard copy photos is possible.  Farishta suggested that the media presentation might be sold or given away by donation; there is a concern about media releases being needed for anything beyond showing at the event. 

     Can pictures be taken at the event?  People will likely take many personal photos during social parts of the day.   During Dances only authorized photographers will take photos and no flash will be used.  Announcements will be made ahead of time and the photos will belong to the community.  Martha will make the announcements.

      The proposed schedule was reviewed.  We decided to begin at 1pm instead of 2pm, and to provide snacks.  This will allow more relaxed unrolling of schedule.  We will ask to start renting the space at 11am. 

     We want a balance of historic leaders and current leaders.  We will begin by inviting current active dance team members.  Names of possible legacy leaders should be sent to John and Helen, who will send an order of desired invitations to Lesley, who has volunteered to coordinate the dance leaders.  We will aim for at least 5 legacy leaders. 

Next meeting:  April 10 at Phil and Helen's home.  Martha will facilitate, Helen will scribe.   

Final song:  Shalom

Interim committee:  Martha, Hayra

Action items:

  • Murad will contact the church about opening windows and starting 5/10 at 11am.
  • Hayra will ask the 2013 Burton leaders if they wish to see the evaluations.
  • John and Martha will recruit a third member for the 2014 Burton Committee.
  • Lesley will send out an invitation for 5/10 to the Seattle Dance team.
  • John and Helen will send an ordered list of legacy leaders to Lesley.
  • Martha will make appropriate announcements about photography on 5/10.       

Parking lot:

  • Backup plan for key roles
  • Review policy compilation
  • Camp Burton music recording
  • Consider selling DVD and silent auction 5/10
  • Promotion Committee report

 Minutes   2008  |  2009  |  2010  |  2011  |  2012  |  2013  |  2014  |  2015  |  2016  |  2017
Policies (as of Feb 2017)  Read   pdf   •   Original Vision Team Report  (from 2003)  Read   pdf

  APRIL 10, 2014   -  Open Dance Community Business Meeting      download pdf

Location:  Murad and Helen's home
Present:  Martha (convenor), Helen (scribe), John, Murad, Hayra (Voice for Peace), K-D, Brian
Opening dance:  Ashkalah Mahbud L'Allah
Announcements:  none
Treasurer's Report:  approximately $3000 in bank account

 Followup on action items:

 Opening the clerestory windows:  Keystone no longer has a device.  •Murad and Martha volunteer to check out Home Depot for likely products, probably two long PVC pipes or telescoping poles.   •Hayra will bring tools to measure the height of the windows.

Camp Burton evaluations:  Hayra contacted 2013 leaders and sent the summary as requested. 


Old Business: 

Policy compilation:  We reviewed the record of previous decisions that Martha and Helen compiled from prior minutes.  We added two addendums: 

         (#11) If there is a significant disagreement about the content of the minutes, the item will come to the next meeting for further discussion. 

         (#4) Photography will be non-flash. 

Martha and Helen will recheck formatting and then the record will be posted to the website with no additional capitalization.

2014 Fall Retreat:  Martha, John and Murad are meeting to choose the next leaders.  No further information from Matin about recordings.

 30th Anniversary Event: 

  • Many people have volunteered energy and time. 
  • Lesley has finished contacting SDT members and is in process of contacting other historical leaders. 
  • Many photos have been submitted to Wakil for a slide show. 
  • Tech issues are being resolved. 
  • Halima and Jamil are managing the food. 
  • Khadija has volunteered to make a beautiful flyer.
  • We need to recruit additional greeters and ensure sufficient cleaning help.
  • We decided not to try to sell DVDs of the slide show. 
  • The suggestion for a silent auction has been moved to the fall retreat. 
  • For the benefit of the community the planning group will authorize specific photographers to take photos through the entire event, including during the Dances.  Martha will make the announcement; other photographers may contact her. 

 Publicity committee:  Two new ideas were presented.  One was for

  • 4 sandwich boards to be placed outside Keystone and potentially at nearby corners.  Concerns were raised about cost, effort of placement, storage and visibility. 
  • Placing posters on multiple local telephone poles, with John volunteering much of the labor.  The Committee is open to fresh suggestions as to how to access publicity via churches in which any of our dancers are active, or via community blogs, such as Phinneywood, or Wallingford.  Contact John Birnell at 206-782-6129 / jbirnel@comcast.net

 Backup plan for key roles: tabled.


New Business:

Beautification:  At Sundari's request, Brian will provide dance leader contact information for better communication about what is being planned.  We approved $50 for both 2014 and 2015 for purchase of additional materials.

Action items:  

  • Murad and Martha volunteer to check out Home Depot for likely window opening products; Hayra will bring tools to measure height of windows. 
  • John and Helen will continue with planning for the 30th anniversary.
  • Martha will announce photography. 
  • Martha and Helen will double-check formatting of policy list and send to Brian. 
  • Camp Burton planning group will choose leader for 2014. 

Next meeting:  May 8 
Convenor:  Murad Murad (425) 483-6511 / phil.notermann@gmail.com           
Location: John's home  719 N 68th St, Seattle
 206-782-6129 / jbirnel@comcast.net   
Scribe:  Helen

Interim committee: 
Martha (206) 367-0389 / inoffice@dancesofuniversalpeace.org
Murad (425) 483-6511 / phil.notermann@gmail.com
Hayra (until 4/30) 206-546-6092 / hayrafatah@gmail.com   

Final dance (free form):   Muktadir Ya Kadir Ya Matin

MAY  8, 2014  -  Thursday - Open Dance Community Business Meeting     -     download pdf

Present:  Murad (convenor), Brian, Helen (scribe), John, K-d, Martha

Opening dance:  Allah in 4 Directions

Announcement:
Dances on the Farm will happen again with dates established on June 22, July 27, August 17.  Brian is recruiting dance leaders.

Treasurer's report: 
We have $3757 in our account.  Keystone hasn't been paid for anniversary ($300), though regular May rent is paid. 

Window poles for opening clerestory windows:
Martha found two poles at Re-Store that will possibly work for the upper windows, for $15 each.  Murad will sand and label the handles with "please do not remove from this room."  

2014 Fall Retreat: 
Dance leader team will be Hayra, Daniel Kirschoff (B.C.), Pat Adams (Portland).  A preliminary flyer can be ready for Sky Camp and Inland Camp.  Thanks to the selection team (Martha, John, Murad).

30th Anniversary:

  • Dance leader contact and line-up:  Lesley has compiled thirteen leaders, old and new.  Rehearsals are scheduled about an hour before each session. 
  • Beautification:  Sundari is planning to use the two time-lines. We have enough set-up help. 
  • What if we have very high attendance?  Folks will have to sit on floor.  We have plates etc for 100-150.
  • Slide show will be shown on the back of the stage.  Instruments can be stored behind a piano, or in room off the stage once tables and chairs come out.  Martha will talk to Danishmand about the option of a microphone as a backup option if the crowd is large. 
  • Food organization seems to be in good order under Halima and Jamil.  
  • Martha, John, and possibly Brenda will be greeters. Martha will bring name tags.
  • Slide show by Wakil has been previewed and is fabulous! Murad needs to download the latest version to his computer.  John will bring the projector.  Murad will bring extension cord and connector cable, and John will bring tape for extension cords.
  • Selling dance booklets and CDs approved, if layout is kept small. 
  • Photography:  Martha and possibly Danishmand. 
  • Budget:  We had approved $500 for the project and have likely spent about $400.
  • We approved transportation help for the two out of town legacy leaders, $40 for Sitara (Bellingham) and $60 for Hafiz (Eugene).

Policy compilation:
Martha is doing the final formatting.

Back up plans for key roles:

  • Website:  Brian will send passwords, domain info, names for website help, etc to John and
  • Martha.  Fall retreat:  Martha will track what she does and compile a checklist and timeline this fall.  The prior registrar, Helen, is backup. 
  • Treasurer:  Murad and Martha can both sign checks, and both have info about our insurance policy.
  • Dupnw email list:  Krsna das is owner, Helen and Halim have moderator privileges.  K-d believes that moderators can name other moderators; Helen will name John and Murad as backup moderators. (K-d would like to broaden participation in all technical aspects, along with more coordination of tech stuff.)    
  • Checklist for how to manage a Wednesday night?  Dance leaders are responsible for opening and closing the church.  This could be revisited in the fall.
  • Facebook?

Action list:

  1. If window poles work, Murad will sand and label with "do not remove".
  2. Martha will format complied policies and prepare a flyer for Sky Camp.
  3. Brian will send critical website info to John and Martha.
  4. Martha will begin keeping tabs of activities and timeline for fall retreat.
  5.  Helen will name John and Murad as backup moderators for dupnw.

Ideas for publicity:  Tabled

 Final dance:  Gloria in Excelsis Deo

NEXT MEETING
Location: Phil & Helen's in Bothel
22405 39th Ave SE, Bothell
(425) 483-6511 / phil.notermann@gmail.com 
6pm Potluck, 7pm meeting
Convener: Helen: heleng@igc.org / (425) 483-6511
Scribe: John Birnel
Interim committee:
   Phil phil.notermann@gmail.com / (206) 367-0389
   Helen Helen: heleng@igc.org / (425) 483-6511
   Brian: brian@briandina.com / 425-485-2019

 Minutes   2008  |  2009  |  2010  |  2011  |  2012  |  2013  |  2014  |  2015  |  2016  |  2017
Policies (as of Feb 2017)  Read   pdf   •   Original Vision Team Report  (from 2003)  Read   pdf

June 12, 2014  -  Open Dance Community Business Meeting     -    download pdf          

Location: Phil & Helen's in Bothel
22405 39th Ave SE, Bothell
(425) 483-6511 / phil.notermann@gmail.com 
6pm Potluck, 7pm meeting
Convener: Helen: heleng@igc.org / (425) 483-6511
Scribe: John Birnel
Present: Martha, KD, Bryan, Hayra, Helen (facilitator), Phil/Murad (Voice for Peace), and John B. (scribe)

OPENING DANCE: Ashk Hu

ANNOUNCEMENTS:

  • There was a moment of silence for Tajali’s husband Terrence, who recently passed away. Memorial Service in Tacoma 6/14.
  • The first of this summer’s Dances on the Farm will be held Sunday 6/22. James Warner, now from Wyo., will be a special guest.
  • Special Solstice Dance on our regular Wed eve dance evening at Keystone.

TREASURER’S REPORT: We have approximately $3500 in our checking account. Our average take has been about $96 in the past month or so. We ended up with an actual profit of $119 from the 30th Anniversary event.

30th ANNIVERSARY REPORT: There were perhaps 100 participants added together from attendance at either the afternoon and/or evening part of the event. Probably 80 in the evening alone. Consensus that it was an extremely wonderful and meaningful event.
Expenses: rent 300 / food 90 / printing and supplies 34 / travel 60.
Intake 603 / Profit 119

The agenda will be posted in the web site for future reference.

===OLD BUSINESS================

POLES:

  • Both poles (for opening the top windows in very warm evenings in the summer) have been purchased.
  • The wooden one Phil will sand and shellac as needed. It will be kept at the Church in the meantime with protective gloves to avoid slivers.
  • A note will be attached to each pole (Brian and Martha to coordinate) to the effect that it is donated by DUP, and to please not remove it from the room.

POLICIES ON THE WEB: Martha will format the critical compiled policies identified earlier. This item is deferred to Sept for finalization.

VASHON RETREAT FOLLOW-UP: Martha has emailed out the roster for the 2013 retreat, as well as the first draft of the announcement re: the 2014 event to all the 2013 retreat participants. Flier for 2014 is now up on the website.

BACKUP PLANS:

  • Brian says he has sent critical website information to John and Martha. John will ask Martha to forward her copy in case his email was not received directly from Brian. DONE!
  • Helen has already named John as backup moderator (to KD) for dupnw.
  • Helen will orient John as to some of the details of moderation in case he is called upon to backup in this role.
  • John will consult with Salim about the need and procedures for additional Facebook moderators.

===NEW BUSINESS================

BEAUTIFICATION: At the Fall Retreat at Burton, Vashon Island, a thought to arrange for a second working scholarship for beautification was referred to the Vashon Planning Committee, perhaps to be decided once the # of signups becomes clearer. A proposal for additional beautification budget allocations for Wed. evenings was tabled as we had recently settled on that issue.

TECH:

  • Meetup Renewal fee: ($36 for an additional 6 months) was approved, but with one “step aside”, and one “block” vote. The # of members has increased from 40 to 111.
  • Website Renewal fee: ($135 /yr) Approved, but with one “block” vote.
  • Paying for tech support/tech collaboration: The general proposal for using an “open source” free website was rejected. This issue could be revisited at some point in the future if a concrete proposal were put forward.

DONATION PROPOSAL: Seattle DUP has historically made an annual donation to INDUP &/OR NANDUP. Due to our 30 th Anniversary celebration upcoming at the time, we deferred a 2013 donation until after that event. Different options between $1119 and $300 were suggested.
We settled on a compromise of $854 to INDUP (the International DUP) without any donation to the NANDUP (North American DUP), which appears to be inactive at this time. With an anonymous donation of $147, our total to INDUP will be $1001.

PRE-ANNOUNCEMENT OF AGENDA: There will be a good-faith effort to send out a proposed agenda along with the announcement on DUPNW of the next DUPP. More specific discussion on this item is deferred to the next meeting in Sept.

REQUEST FOR THE USE OF A GROUNDING WAND: A message suggesting the use of a grounding wand at the Wed DUP was referred to the Dance Leader Group which will be meeting next in July. Hayra will handle the introduction of this proposal.

TASKS:

The wooden pole Phil will sand and shellac as needed. It will be kept at the Church in the
meantime with protective gloves (arranged by Martha) to avoid slivers. A note will be
attached to each pole (Phil and Martha to coordinate) to the effect that it is donated by DUP,
and to please not remove it from the room.

  • John will ask Martha to forward her copy of email from Brian re: critical website information (done).
  • Helen will orient John as to some of the details of DUPNW moderation in case he is called upon to backup in this role. (John to request a meeting sometime in July or August).
  • John will consult with Salim about the need and procedures for additional Facebook moderators (email sent).
  • Martha will format the critical compiled policies identified earlier for presentation at the Sept. DUPP meeting.
  • Other item deferred to Sept-pre-announcement of agenda.
NEXT MEETING - Sept 11, 2014
Location: John's home: 719 N 68th St, Seattle
   206-782-6129 / jbirnel@comcast.net
 
   6pm Potluck, 7pm meeting
Convener: Phil phil.notermann@gmail.com / (425) 483-6511 
Scribe: Helen
Interim committee:
   Phil phil.notermann@gmail.com / (425) 483-6511
   Helen Helen: heleng@igc.org / (425) 483-6511
   Brian: brian@briandina.com / 425-485-2019
JULY - No Meeting this Month

No Meeting in July

 Minutes   2008  |  2009  |  2010  |  2011  |  2012  |  2013  |  2014  |  2015  |  2016  |  2017
Policies (as of Feb 2017)  Read   pdf   •   Original Vision Team Report  (from 2003)  Read   pdf

  AUGUST - No Meeting this Month                                                                                    

No Meeting in August

SEPT 11, 2014   -   Open Dance Community Business Meeting   -   download pdf    
Location: John's home: 719 N 68th St, Seattle
   206-782-6129 / jbirnel@comcast.net
 
   6pm Potluck, 7pm meeting
Convener: Phil phil.notermann@gmail.com / (425) 483-6511 
Scribe: Helen
Interim committee:
   Phil phil.notermann@gmail.com / (425) 483-6511
   Helen Helen: heleng@igc.org / (425) 483-6511
   Brian: brian@briandina.com / 425-485-2019

Location:  John Birnel's home

Present:  Murad (convenor), krsna das, Brian, Helen (scribe), Hayra, Martha (VfP), John

Opening dance:  Healing Dance

Announcements:

  • Dances at Lynnwood Unity 10/17 and 11/20, 7pm
  • Brian will not be posting events/dances from non-Seattle dance circles unless he receives an email announcing the event. 

Treasurer's report:  $2669 in the treasury.  Insurance payment of $350-400 will be due in October.

Action Item Reports:

  • Window pole handle fixed (Murad)--completed
  • Window pole labels affixed (Brian, Martha)--planned completion 9/17
  • Formatting policy compilation (Martha)--completed
  • Re-orienting John as backup list serve moderator (John, Helen)--completed
  • Critical website information backed up (Brian, Martha, John)--completed
  • Pre-announcement of agenda (Murad)--not remembered in time

Vashon Retreat Update:

  • We already have 32 registrants.
  • A strong volunteer beautification team will be recruited to help Sundari.
  • Burton leaders will be asked about their preferences for the musician boshi position.
  • Scholarships have historically been awarded irrespective of work-trade, although volunteers are often recruited from awardees.  Recording would be treated in the same way.

Open-Source Website Proposal:

  • Krsna das has replicated our current website on google.  He believes the advantage of using google would be that the website would be free (instead of $130 per year) and could allow better sharing (although a gatekeeper would still be needed).  Reservations were expressed about changing from the current website, which we know works well for non-technical users.  The sample website has only placeholders for photos, and krsna das has reservations about loading items which may be intellectual property. 
  • Next steps:  K-d will upload sample photos to the site and send a simple link for us to try out. He will also send a flier in SVG format. 
Next Meeting: November 13
Location: Hayra's home 
17625 6th Ave NW, Shoreline
206-546-6092 / hayrafatah@gmail.com
6pm Potluck, 7pm meeting
Convener: John (206) 782-6129 / jbirnel@comcast.net 
Scribe: Helen
Interim Committee:
John (206) 782-6129 / jbirnel@comcast.net
Murad (425) 483-6511 / phil.notermann@gmail.com
Martha (206) 367-0389 / inoffice@dancesofuniversalpeace.org
OCTOBER - No meeting this Month
Next Meeting: November 13
Location: Hayra's home 
17625 6th Ave NW, Shoreline
206-546-6092 / hayrafatah@gmail.co
6pm Potluck, 7pm meeting
Convener: John (206) 782-6129 / jbirnel@comcast.net 
Scribe: Helen
Interim Committee:
John (206) 782-6129 / jbirnel@comcast.net
Murad (425) 483-6511 / phil.notermann@gmail.com
Martha (206) 367-0389 / inoffice@dancesofuniversalpeace.org
 Minutes   2008  |  2009  |  2010  |  2011  |  2012  |  2013  |  2014  |  2015  |  2016  |  2017
Policies (as of Feb 2017)  Read   pdf   •   Original Vision Team Report  (from 2003)  Read   pdf
   NOVEMBER - 13, 2014      download pdf   
Location: Hayra's home 
17625 6th Ave NW, Shoreline
206-546-6092 / hayrafatah@gmail.co
6pm Potluck, 7pm meeting
Convener: John (206) 782-6129 / jbirnel@comcast.net 
Scribe: Helen
Interim Committee:
John (206) 782-6129 / jbirnel@comcast.net
Murad (425) 483-6511 / phil.notermann@gmail.com
Martha (206) 367-0389 / inoffice@dancesofuniversalpeace.org

 Attending:  John (facilitator), Lesley (VfP), Helen (scribe), Hayra, Martha, Murad, Brian,

 Opening Dance:  Alleluia

 Announcements:

  1. Dance at Lynnwood Unity 11/20
  2. Aramaic translations available as a webpage
    seattledup.org/events/aramaic_translation.htm
    --or--
    seattledup.org | About | Dancing in Seattle | Promo Fliers | Aramaic Prayer | then click on PDF or Online Guide
  3. N'Shama will be rejoining the Dance Team (following her experiences at the 30th anniversary celebration)

 Treasurer's Report:  We currently have total funds of  $2603.69, which includes the profit from the Camp Burton retreat.  Wednesday donations are averaging $93.46 in 2014. 

 Old Business:

  •          Policies posted to web--done
  •          Window poles labelled--done

Open Source website:  Krsna Das and Brian are working together to evaluate the option of using Google instead of paying for our current website.  Some problems have already been resolved, but some concerns remain, such as lack of tech support and issues uploading the calendar.  Several members expressed appreciation for the mutual good will and a good faith effort.  Krsna Das and Brian will present an update at our next meeting.

Business cards:  We have an adequate supply. 

Vashon Retreat Report: Finances:  Profit:  $625.50.  We had 73 participants, and gave 12 scholarships (10 half, several partials).  We received $423 in donations to Scholarship Fund/Auction. 

  1. Roster:  to be posted soon
  2. Recordings:  Matin recorded the retreat.
  3. Evaluations:  The retreat was immensely successful. Hayra and Martha compiled responses from the surveys. Very few responses weren't "excellent" or "very good".  Positive highlights were shared from responses to specific questions, as well as some helpful suggestions for the future.  E.G,  we may consider dance leader amplification in future retreats.

Photography: some photos were taken, but generated no complaints. 

Dessert Break and Dance:  Goofy Haida Haida

Birthdays:  So far no one has responded to Jennifer's suggestion that we revive celebrating birthdays.  We agree that the practice has to be consistent to be successful.      

MeetUp Renewal:  The membership requires $6/month and occasionally draws a new or returning person.   A six-month extension was approved. Brian will start making announcements/reminders on MeetUp as well as continuing to post to the MeetUp calendar. 

Reimbursement request: Brian requests reimbursement for two ink cartridges used for printing flyers. Approved. 

NADUP fundraiser: We received the annual request for help with NADUP Christmas cards (stamps and addressing at the break), which was approved.  Martha will schedule with December dance leaders once the cards arrive.

Global Peace Dance: New Year's Eve falls on Wednesday, so Seattle Dance Team has decided to defer the usual Wednesday gathering to the GPD organizers.  The location is still being negotiated.  We agree to back the event up to $400 in up-front funds, if needed, once the location is settled.  If the Circle provides upfront funds, the Circle will take the risk of loss or profit. 

Christmas Eve:  Dances will be held as usual at Keystone.

NW Harvest night:  Seattle Dance Team plans to have NW Harvest night in March, when the need is greatest.  We agree that all donations from that night will go to NW Harvest.

Interim committee:  Martha, John, Lesley

To-do: 

  • Brian and KD will continue to investigate the open source website and give a report next meeting.
  • Brian will contact Danishmand about amplification options for the Vashon retreat.
  • Martha will take Brian's old ink cartridges and get two new ones.

Closing Dance:  Zikr of the Groove

NEXT MEETING: January 8, 2015
Location: Phil & Helen's home 
22405 39th AVE SE, Bothell
425-483-6511
helengable@gmail.com  /  phil.notermann@gmail.com
6pm Potluck, 7pm meeting
Convener/Facilitator: Martha (206) 367-0389
inoffice@dancesofuniversalpeace.org
Scribe: Helen
Interim Committee:
John (206) 782-6129 / jbirnel@comcast.net
Martha (206) 367-0389 / inoffice@dancesofuniversalpeace.org
Lesley (425) 643-1108 / kneads4u@comcast.net

 

   DECEMBER - NO MEETING in December     
No Meeting in December
NEXT MEETING: January 8, 2015
Location: Phil & Helen's home 
22405 39th AVE SE, Bothell
425-483-6511
helengable@gmail.com  /  phil.notermann@gmail.com
6pm Potluck, 7pm meeting
Convener: Martha (206) 367-0389
inoffice@dancesofuniversalpeace.org
Scribe: Helen
Interim Committee:
John (206) 782-6129 / jbirnel@comcast.net
Martha (206) 367-0389 / inoffice@dancesofuniversalpeace.org
Lesley (425) 643-1108 / kneads4u@comcast.net

 

 Minutes   2008  |  2009  |  2010  |  2011  |  2012  |  2013  |  2014  |  2015  |  2016  |  2017
Policies (as of Feb 2017)  Read   pdf   •   Original Vision Team Report  (from 2003)  Read   pdf


  Pictures: Roots | World | Seattle-1 | Seattle-2 | Seattle-3 | Seattle-4 | Seattle-5 | Seattle-6 | Leaders-1 | Leaders-2
Friends:
 One  Two  | insui | Habib | SundariLama | Zakira | Friends-1 | Friends-2 | Florabunda Farm:  One  Two  Three  Four
  Whidbey Whales | Bellevue30th Anniv:  One  Two  Three  PDF  | Camp Burton
Village Potluck:  One  Two  | Whidbey Whales | Bellevue
webmaster: brian@briandina.com / 425-485-2019

NOTE: Some of our Dancers are highly sensitive to fragrances (soaps, natural essences,
perfumes, colognes, hair spray). Please do not wear these to Dance events if possible