Minutes for: Open Business Dance Meeting - 2015
   
     
 Minutes   2008  |  2009  |  2010  |  2011  |  2012  |  2013  |  2014  |  2015  |  2016  |  2017
Policies (as of Feb 2017)  Read   pdf   •   Original Vision Team Report  (from 2003)  Read   pdf
  JANUARY 8, 2015 - Thursday - Open Dance Community Business Meeting    

No meeting due to various people down with the flu.

  FEBRUARY 12, 2015   -  Open Dance Community Business Meeting       download pdf    

Present:
     KD, Hayra (appointed Voice for Peace), Martha (facilitating), Brian, John (scribe)

Announcements:

1.     The special NW Harvest night has been set for March 4th on a regular Wed night Seattle DUP. All of the evening’s proceeds will be passed along to the NW Harvest Food Banks. Non perishable donations for NW Harvest will also be accepted.

2.     Special Zikr March 14 (Sat.) as part of “Dancing Particle and Wave Retreat with leaders Narayan Waldman and Munir Reynolds at the Aldermarsh Retreat Ctr on Whidbey Island (make reservations soon)
more details:  http://seattledup.org/events/2015_03_15_particle_wave.htm  

3.     Dance Deepening weekend at Vashon Island 5/8-5/10/2015 with Abrahim & Halima Sussman coming from the East Coast. Very limited space. Sunday PM will be limited to Dance Leaders. More details: http://seattledup.org/events/15_05_08_sussman.htm  

4.     Another dance deepening weekend 9/19-9/21 with Wim Wali & Arienne Vander Zwan coming from Germany. Non-residential at CSL in Tacoma. Sunday AM designed more for leaders. More details: http://seattledup.org/events/15_09_18_wim_wali.htm

OLD BUSINESS:

1.     No Treasurers report as our Treasurer was unexpectedly absent.

2.     KD’s proposal for changing the web site from current arrangement to a no cost “open source” website: Uploading the calendar was not seen as problematic. Some discussion, if we were to go to “open source”, of the need to transition the current system of notification of healing night requests to the “healing reader” for that night. Concern was expressed about the lack of “tech support” in case of any issues with an “open source” website, whereas, “tech support” is readily available currently.
It was decided that if DUPP were to decide on transitioning to an “open source” website, that someone other than Brian would need to do the transition.

3.     Update re: head set for leaders at yearly Regional Retreat (at Vashon): Reminder that feedback from the 2014 retreat prompted a look at availability of leader amplification. Brian reported that a head set might be loanable from one of the Oregon Dance Groups. An amplifier/speaker system might also be available on loan in some way. Discussion of how such an amplification system might work (in the center or on the outside, e.g.). Brian will research further and bring back to DUPP.

4.     Report on 12/31/2014 Seattle Global Peace Dance (GPD): Hayra reported that the event (which this year was under the official auspices of the Seattle DUP supplanting our regular Wed night dance that evening) was a success. About $20 in “profit” is coming back to the Seattle DUP treasury. Those in the meeting tonight who attended said the venue was a little small, but adequate. About 30 attendees at its height. Hayra noted that she is looking for a collaborator (Dance Leader or not) to put on the 2015 GPD. More specific details on attendance #’s and finances are expected to be received by the Seattle DUPP by the next meeting.

NEW BUSINESS:

1.     Regional Retreat (Vashon) Planning: Martha, John, and Hayra volunteered to participate in the Planning Committee, whose main task is to recruit and select a usual team of 3 co-leaders. Martha will call together the subcommittee within the next few weeks.

DANCE AT THE END (Zikr of the Groove)

INTERIM COMMITTEE: Martha, Hayra and John.

TO DO:

1.     Hayra will check with Lesley about details on finances and attendance # from the 2014 Global Peace Dance.

2.  Brian will check with James Warner and Stephen Matin re: equipment for amplification for the Regional Retreat and report back to DUPP. He will also bring up at the Seattle Team Leaders meeting in April 2015.

RESIDUAL AGENDA ITEMS FOR NEXT MEETING:

1.     More discussion, if “ripe”, on possible transition to “open source” website. 

2.     Update on amplification possibilities for the Regional Retreat, and, if necessary, on possible outlay of funds for amplification.

 

NEXT MEETING
Date: April 9, 2015 (No March meeting)
Location: Hayra’s 
    17625 6th Ave NW, Shoreline
   206-546-6092 / hayrafatah@gmail.com
6pm Potluck, 7pm meeting
Convener: John (206) 782-6129 / jbirnel@comcast.net
Scribe: Brian
Interim Committee:
John (206) 782-6129 / jbirnel@comcast.net
Martha (206) 367-0389 / inoffice@dancesofuniversalpeace.org
Hayra (206) 546-6092 / hayrafatah@gmail.com

 

 Minutes   2008  |  2009  |  2010  |  2011  |  2012  |  2013  |  2014  |  2015  |  2016  |  2017
Policies (as of Feb 2017)  Read   pdf   •   Original Vision Team Report  (from 2003)  Read   pdf
  MARCH  -  Open Dance Community Business Meeting         

No meeting in March

  APRIL 9, 2015   -  Open Dance Community Business Meeting         download pdf

Location: Hayra’s 
    17625 6th Ave NW, Shoreline
   206-546-6092 / hayrafatah@gmail.com
6pm Potluck, 7pm meeting
Convener: John (206) 782-6129 / jbirnel@comcast.net
Scribe: Brian
Interim Committee:
John (206) 782-6129 / jbirnel@comcast.net
Martha (206) 367-0389 / inoffice@dancesofuniversalpeace.org
Hayra (206) 546-6092 / hayrafatah@gmail.com

Beginning Dance: Radhe Bol
Attendance: krsna das / Brian / Helen / John B / Hayra / Martha

===Announcements===================

  • Salim flying in next Tuesday for four weeks. (Apr 14 thru May 11) He will be our drummer on Apr 14
  • 22 people at Mt Vernon Dance on April 5. Only 2 folks from Mt Vernon proper / Lots of folks from the “Northern region”
  • Not doing Dances-on-the-Farm this year. Illuminata is choosing to support Aarti and Munajat’s dance endeavors this summer.

===Treasurers Report==================

  • $3510.10 will little anticipated expenses until insurance payment in the fall
  • NW Harvest - $187 to NW Harvest
  • “I Am” night of Inana dances on April 8 took in $198

===Camp Burton 2015==================

  • Leaders: Nuriya Akers (Colorado) / Mu’mina (Portland) / Lesley Florer (Seattle)
  • Headset: Martha is investigating the option of amplification of leaders. Martha will talk with the main retreat leaders to see if there are any concerns regarding this headset/amp combination.
  • Recordings from 2013/2014 - Matin hopes to get the recordings done in June.
  • We don’t plan to offer a scholarship to record the 2015 retreat.

===MEETUP=========================

  • 136 members Got some people to MT Vernon Dance
  • The group has agreed to renew MeetUp for another 6 months (cost $36),
    starting in June.

===FACEBOOK======================

  • Brian will send out announcement on DUPNW asking people to “like” the Facebook posts that Sundari puts up most weeks.

===LOW ATTENDANCE================

Attendance and Donation Comparison 2012-2015
Presented by Helen
Attendance
Donations
Year
First 14 weeks avg
Annual Average
First 14 weeks avg
Annual Average
2012
25.78
25.04
$99.00
$91.00
2013
23.21
25.9
$137.67
$108.89
2014
22.5
26.62
$87.50
$100.02
2015
22.14
$108.50
  • From the early 2000s we have drifted from a median of about 30+ dancers to around 20+
  • Is it age? Tired? Not as much need to be plugged in?
  • We are a Regional Dance and driving (from Tacoma to Seattle for example) is a longer drive than it used to be.

===CHEAP SIGNS PLACED at Various Spots in Wallingford=====

  • Martha will follow up with Krisna Das’ previous inquiry with DUPIN to use the enhanced DUP logo (intertwined hearts) on a sign.
  • John will look at costs/durability for various types/sizes of metal posted yard signs.
  • We discussed the possibility of asking dancers to take a sign home and put it in their front yard and traffic islands.
  • John’s email of April 13, 2015
         Regrettably, I will not be arriving back in Seattle before the next meeting Th 5/14, but I do have a report from having visited Art Boruck Printing today. Art gave me a quote of $320 for 50 2 sided 2 colored Corrugated plastic yard signs 18"x24" (standard size). 50 is the minimum order. Our artwork would need to be sent on pdf file @100dpi. They also sell the accompanying metal "H" stakes, starting at 65c/each, though I am hopeful I could get some elsewhere for free.
         He also suggested a full color 13oz. banner with grommets @$6/square foot maybe we could figure out a way to display every Wed near the Church. A 3' x 4' would be $72.
        ~Warmly, John

===Purchase Of Aramaic Reference Materials For Dance Library===

  • Phil can spend up to $80

Dance: Green Grows the Tree of Our Unity


===Putting website on Google drive========

  • Krsna das reiterated that he wants to host the website for free, and not be beholden to a corporate entity. He believes a spiritual community should operate as much as possible through the service of its members.
  • Brian reports that he explored Google Drive, but is concerned about the lack of technical support. He isn’t willing to move the current website.
  • No consensus emerged to move the current website.

Final Dance: Mir Miru Mir

NNEXT MEETING
Date: Thursday, May 14 , 2015
Location: Phil & Helen’s in Bothell
   22405 39th AVE SE, Bothell, WA
   (425) 483-6511 / helengable@gmail.com
6pm Potluck, 7pm meeting
Convener: Martha
   (206) 367-0389 / inoffice@dancesofuniversalpeace.org
Scribe: Helen
Interim Committee:
John (206) 782-6129 / jbirnel@comcast.net
Martha (206) 367-0389 / inoffice@dancesofuniversalpeace.org
Hayra (206) 546-6092 / hayrafatah@gmail.com

 Minutes   2008  |  2009  |  2010  |  2011  |  2012  |  2013  |  2014  |  2015  |  2016  |  2017
Policies (as of Feb 2017)  Read   pdf   •   Original Vision Team Report  (from 2003)  Read   pdf
MAY 14, 2015   -  Thursday - Open Dance Community Business Meeting      download PDF
Location: Phil & Helen’s in Bothell
   22405 39th AVE SE, Bothell, WA
   (425) 483-6511 / helengable@gmail.com
6pm Potluck, 7pm meeting
Convener: Martha
   (206) 367-0389 / inoffice@dancesofuniversalpeace.org
Scribe: Helen
Interim Committee:
John (206) 782-6129 / jbirnel@comcast.net
Martha (206) 367-0389 / inoffice@dancesofuniversalpeace.org
Hayra (206) 546-6092 / hayrafatah@gmail.com

Present:  Martha (convener), Murad, Brian (VfP), Hayra, Helen (scribe)

 Announcements:

  1. We all enjoyed Salim's visit and drumming
  2. Woodinville's first dance was successful. Mt Vernon lost some dancers to Woodinville and Pt Townsend.   The region has a big ratio of leaders to dancers, so many small circles are developing. 
  3. Dances on the Farm may happen only if Aarti and Marti want to organize Mt. Vernon dances there. They are not planning to do so at this time.

 Treasurer's report:  There is approximately $3700 in treasury.  We are meeting rent or better most nights.

 Camp Burton Retreat report:

  • Publicity: The flyer is done and posted on website, ready for Sky Camp.  There are small price increases due to the biannual Camp Burton increase.  Martha will clarify the option of sleeping in vehicles.
  • Beautification: Sundari has asked to be lead on beautification again.  We agree, and will plan for contingency backup. Camp Burton has remodeled the dance space, so it may not need as much work to make it lovely. 
  • Amplification:  we can rent a wireless transmitter and two microphones (earpiece and lapel) for $50 as a package from American Music.  Speakers are not included and Martha is researching options for either several outside speakers or a central amplifier, as well as someone to monitor the equipment.  Hayra would prefer to avoid using the lavalier; Brian prefers headsets.  We could try several options this year and evaluate them all for the following year.  Martha will present amplification to the retreat leaders as a new option with our preference that they try it.

 Attracting Dancers to Keystone Circle:

  • Signs:  John discovered that it would cost $320 for 50 2-sided 18x24 signs (about $6.50/sign) (see April 2015 minutes for John;s letter on this subject).  Martha brought a similar sign from a Shoreline campaign. Many questions were raised:  how long do they last?  How many colors for that price?  Where would we be posting them? Do we put them out only on Wednesday in nearby blocks?  Or targeting the Farmer's Market? Do we have anyone available to put them out? How many Dancers would take one for their own yards? If they're on public medians, how long until they get pulled up?  Where would the unused ones live? Who would design it?  Would we use "Dances of Universal Peace" or "Peace Dancing?"  What illustration would we use?  Since John was not present, we decided to defer the discussion/decision. 
  •  Banner: John also found an option of a 3x4 banner to display outside the church for $74.  We already have some banners from Olympic event, but displaying them is difficult.  We agree not to pursue a banner.
  • Social Media: Brian reminds us of social media options. Domain renewals are also coming up in June.  Hayra suggests adding a domain "PeaceDanceSeattle" as a future option, especially if we start using signs with that phrase.
  • Magnetism:  Murad spoke about having a more magnetic experience being the key to attracting more dancers and keep them coming back.  Lots of people already know about us, and word of mouth spreads best.  We need to be deep to powerfully affect people's hearts, and that would draw dancers more than signs. We may feel more helpless about a deeper shift. It is hard to be a beacon that pulls people past all  distractions.  We can take credit for what we are doing, and yet hear a call to go deeper. 

 Photography:

  • Hayra requests updated photos for the website, especially the header.  We agree that the current ones are outdated, and to allow photography on 6/17, 6/24, and 7/1.  Hayra will contact the leaders of the evenings.  Martha will send out an email using the wording we sent out two years ago when we had photos taken around Solstice, i.e. first half only, no flash, etc.  Martha will send Brian photos of Daniel from the fall retreat that might be suitable for the header. 
NEXT MEETING - June 11, 2015
Location: Brian's Place
   10295 NE 189th St #304 ,
   Glen Grove Apartments, Bothell, WA
   (425) 485-2019 / brian@briandina.com
6pm Potluck, 7pm meeting
Convener: Phil
  (425) 483-6511 / phil.notermann@gmail.com
Scribe: John?
Interim Committee:
Phil (425) 483-6511 / phil.notermann@gmail.com
Martha (206) 367-0389 / inoffice@dancesofuniversalpeace.org
Brian  (425) 485-2019 / brian@briandina.com
June 11, 2015  -  Open Dance Community Business Meeting     -     download pdf        
Location: Brian's Place
   10295 NE 189th St #304
   Glen Grove Apartments, Bothell, WA
   (425) 485-2019 / brian@briandina.com
6pm Potluck, 7pm meeting
Convener: Phil
  (425) 483-6511 / phil.notermann@gmail.com
Scribe: John?
Interim Committee:
Phil (425) 483-6511 / phil.notermann@gmail.com
Martha (206) 367-0389 / inoffice@dancesofuniversalpeace.org
Brian  (425) 485-2019 / brian@briandina.com

DUPP MINUTES 6/11/2015
Present: Hayra, John, Phil/Murad, Brian, Martha. Held at Brian’s in Bothell. Murad facilitated. Martha was the Voice for Peace (VFP). Opening Dance “Om Hum”.

ANNOUNCEMENTS:

  • Hayra is working on a Solstice Day Dance at Green Lake using DUPNW and a monkey survey to gauge interest and times.
  • The DUPP Interim Committee gave approval for Susanna to use photos she will be taking in conjunction with the forthcoming open photo periods at Keystone for sketching. Perhaps the sketches can in turn be put on the website.
  • The Port Townsend Circle reports it will continue its regular monthly dance this summer. The Olympia Circle is starting up again.
  • The Woodinville Circle had its 2nd Dance, with a good showing of about 23, and very good support, especially from musicians, from the Seattle Circle.
  • The Mount Vernon Circle had good energy and the next monthly Dance will be partly held outside!

TREASURER’S REPORT:
$4005 in the treasury with everything paid up thru June.

2015 CAMP BURTON UPDATE:
Fliers are being sent or taken to the Sufi and DUP camps in the area, including Wilderness in Mt., & the NW Sufi Camp.

PHOTOGRAPHY DURING THE EVENING (FIRST HALF) AT KEYSTONE UPDATE:
Photographers have been arranged for all 3 consecutive Wed. nights beginning 6/24. Announcements are being made ahead of time and at the Dance each night.

SIGN PROMOTING DUP AT KEYSTONE:

  • It was agreed to purchase 50 18”x 24” double color, double sided Corrugated Plastic signs (the minimum order at Boruck’s printing) at the cost of $320 + tax, unless a less expensive quality product is available. John offered to store extra signs in his garage.
  • A few of the signs are intended to be posted Wed’s before the Dance on 50th and in front of the Church, with stickers on them saying “TONIGHT!”. Others will be available to be posted in front of dancers’ homes in or near Seattle.
  • John will check some more re: possible additional options for signs besides Boruck’s.
  • Finalization will occur after design work is completed, but not before the next DUPP meeting in September. Brian will send John the Mandala we have been using on the web site etc. John will see if a friend with design experience might help draw up a design, and Brian with at least participate in the design development. He will also be the backup prime designer if necessary.
  • It was agreed that we would purchase the PeaceDancing.org domain on the web, which would connect to SeattleDUP.org at an assumed cost of $20 or less per year. Brian will follow through.
  • PEACEDANCING will be prominently displayed on the signs.

INCREASING “PRESENCE” AND “MAGNETISM” AT DANCE:
Murad reminded us about the importance of focusing on Deep Presence, during Dance (and during our Planning Meetings, rather than so much on logistics). He led us through an exercise of getting back in touch with what “caught” us, prompting our own deep involvement in the Dances. Hayra spoke eloquently about the Dances being “a place for the Spirit to unfold”.

THINNING OUT THE SUITCASE:

  • John mentioned that the suitcase holding decorations and signs was straining to hold everything and that it was frequently becoming disordered. In those cases, it was difficult and time-consuming to repack it at the end of the Wednesday night Dance. He and Helen had talked about maybe having it thinned out.
  • It was decided to form an Ad-Hoc Team to deal with this issue. John will inquire of some of the Dancers who have most often been involved in decorating in forming this committee-e.g., Helen, KD, Sundari, Elizabeth. The committee will be authorized to purchase a 2nd “backup” suitcase (used) for a reasonable price if deemed necessary, and decide what items would be stored there, and where it would be stored. Presumably this 2nd suitcase would be utilized principally for retreats like Vashon. The Ad-Hoc Team will also decide if any of the items will be discarded, and if so, how (leave for Dancers to take at Dance?).

DONATION TO TACOMA RETREAT EVENT FOR SCHOLARSHIP(S):
It was decided to donate $200 towardscholarship(s) for the WimWali&Arienne day retreat in Tacoma coming up this September. It is a rare instance for these 2 seasoned traveling Dance Leaders from Germany to come to this area. The donation is without stipulation as to selection of candidate(s), though some preference for youth recipients was voiced, if they see fit.

POSSIBLE SURVEY:
John mentioned some thoughts about conducting another survey. It was discussed briefly. No specific goal or needs related to a survey were identified at this time.

VENTILATION DURING THE SUMMER/WINDOW POLES LOCATED!:
Just in time for summer, the window poles for Keystone were located. They had been misplaced in the Church. John, and then others, will send out notices during the summer on DUPNW reminding Dancers that we have increased ventilation available from opening the upper windows, and bringing in fans, during very warm evenings in the Summer.

CLOSING DANCE: Namaste (by Murad)

TO DO:

  • John will check some more re: possible additional options for signs besides Boruck’s.
  • Brian will send John the Mandala we have been using on the web site etc.
  • John will see if a friend with design experience might help draw up a design, and Brian with at least participate in the design development. He will also be the backup prime designer if necessary.
  • John will form an Ad-Hoc Team to deal with storage of decorations and the team will decide re: trimming/disposing and/or storing some of the items in a 2nd suitcase (and where to store that suitcase). It will buy a used 2nd suitcase at a reasonable suitcase if necessary.
  • Murad will send a $200 check to the Registrar for scholarship(s) for the WimWali&Arienne day retreat in Tacoma coming up this September.
  • John, and then others, will send out notices during the summer on DUPNW reminding Dancers that we have increased ventilation available from opening the upper windows, and bringing in fans, during very warm evenings in the Summer.
NEXT MEETING
Location: John's Place
   719 N 68th St, Seattle 98103
  (206) 782-6129 / jbirnel@comcast.net
6pm Potluck, 7pm meeting
Convener: Hayra
  (206) 546-6092 / hayrafatah@gmail.com
Scribe: Brian (Helen as backup)
Interim Committee:
Phil (425) 483-6511 / phil.notermann@gmail.com
Martha (206) 367-0389 / inoffice@dancesofuniversalpeace.org
Hayra (206) 546-6092 / hayrafatah@gmail.com
 Minutes   2008  |  2009  |  2010  |  2011  |  2012  |  2013  |  2014  |  2015  |  2016  |  2017
Policies (as of Feb 2017)  Read   pdf   •   Original Vision Team Report  (from 2003)  Read   pdf
JULY

No Meeting in July

  AUGUST                                                                            
No meeting in August

 Minutes   2008  |  2009  |  2010  |  2011  |  2012  |  2013  |  2014  |  2015  |  2016  |  2017
Policies (as of Feb 2017)  Read   pdf   •   Original Vision Team Report  (from 2003)  Read   pdf

 

SEPT 10, 2015                                           download pdf
Location: John's Place
   719 N 68th St, Seattle 98103
  (206) 782-6129 / jbirnel@comcast.net
6pm Potluck, 7pm meeting
Convener: Hayra
  (206) 546-6092 / hayrafatah@gmail.com
Scribe: Brian
Voice of Peace: Murad
Interim Committee:
Phil (425) 483-6511 / phil.notermann@gmail.com
Martha (206) 367-0389 / inoffice@dancesofuniversalpeace.org
Hayra (206) 546-6092 / hayrafatah@gmail.com


ATTENDANCE:
Hayra / Brian / Murad / John B / Martha

===DANCE============

  • Shalom Lai Lai Lai

===ANNOUNCEMENTS===============

  • Sundari hosted chanting with Devi Bhaktananda on Thursdays, Sept. 10 and 17
    Contact Devi Bhaktananda becky.westbrook@gmail.com
  • Woodinville Dance on Sept 6 – about 25 people
  • Mt Vernon – small turnout
  • Pt Townsend had 26 dancers. Guest Leaders Matin and Malika from Salem, OR
  • Bruce expressed appreciation for the work help and the dances at his “Raspberry Festival” on Sept 5.

===TREASURER’s REPORT=============

  • Murad: $4206.00 in checking account and cash on hand
  • Yearly liability insurance payment due in early OCT. Cost is $350-400
  • The treasury is making gains; even with #s below.
  • Average weekly donations in 2015 are $94
  • Average weekly attendance for 2015 is 21.5 dancers

===SUITCASE=========

  • John and Helen cleared out, organized, and labeled the suitcase at Keystone
  • Items for fast and easy setup are on top, in zippered sections
  • John will talk with Helen about creating a laminated list of items/organizational-chart to put inside the suitcase.
  • Items which have been removed from the suitcase are being stored at John's house and may be picked up for use at Camp Burton
  • Except for special circumstances (Burton retreat, cleaning and organizing, etc), our agreement is still: the suitcase stays at Keystone.

===CAMP BURTON==========

DECORATING

  • Sundari has bowed out from that duty…for 2015.
  • Martha has contacted various people to find a decorating team
  • Hayra sez: Margaret-Lily, Elizabeth Dequine and Hayra are interested in possibly being
    the decorating team [update: Margaret is not available to do this.]
  • Martha and Hayra will work out the details and put together a decorating team

MUSICIAN BOSHI

  • Brian has expressed interest again. Lesley et al are still deciding.

WIRELESS MICROPHONE FOR DANCE LEADERS

  • Martha still following up on: (a) who might manage this (b) if the leaders really want this.

REGISTRATION

  • 20 registrations so far (18 for the retreat center)

===DANCE==========================

  • Only One

===CONNECTION EXERCISE============

===SIGNAGE==========================

  • We looked at the signs Brian designed. After suggestions, Brian will make adjustments.
  • John and Brian will work with the printer to create 25 24” x 18” yard signs

===TRANSPORTATION MONEY=====

  • Farishita requested transportation money for Wim Wali and Arienne to come from Tacoma to Keystone on Sept 16
  • We agreed to $50, as per our policy.
  • Brian thinks this is a bit much for driving from Tacoma to Seattle and back, but will abide by the policy. He plans to put “review the transportation policy” on the agenda for a future meeting.

===INK CARTS==================

  • Brian asked for 2 ink cartridges to help offset the cost of printing fliers, etc.
  • The dance team approved this request.
  • Martha will pick them up at Cartridge World sometime in the next 1-4 weeks

===MEETUP====================

  • Starting in February 2016 the price will go up from $6 to $15 / month. In addition, we will lose the ½ price deal we got by being part of Shivadam’s Meetup group. i.e. the price will go from $72/year up to $180/year.
  • We decided to discontinue Meetup after the end of the year…unless Brian can come up with some compelling arguments to continue with it.

===FACEBOOK==================

  • We need someone to (a) make weekly announcements (b) approve member requests
  • Hayra, Phil & Brian will contact various people to see if they want to take this on

===YOUTH==============

  • Ages on website will match Burton flier i.e. 13-29

===ACTION ITEMS=========================

  • John will talk with Helen about creating a list of items/organizational-chart to put in the Suitcase.
  • The decorating team will bring the items which were removed from the Keystone suitcase (which are in storage at John's); and bring the Keystone Suitcase to Camp Burton.
  • Martha and Hayra will work out the details and put together a Decorating Team
  • Martha will follow up on the details for the Wireless Microphone for dance leaders at Camp Burton: (a) who might manage this (b) if the leaders really want this.
  • John and Brian will work with the printer to create 25 24” x 18” Yard Signs
  • Hayra, Phil & Brian will contact various people to see if they can find someone to take on Facebook Duties.
  • John offered to approve Facebook member requests, if needed, and Brian will research how that is done

===AGENDA ITEMS FOR FUTURE MEETINGS===============

  • Look at transportation policy
  • Meetup.com
  • Facebook
  • The suitcase, and specific items winthin it, leaving Keystone

===INTERIM COMMITTEE=======

===NEXT MEETINGS================================

Date: Thurs Oct 8
Location: Hayra's
   17625 6th Ave NW, Shoreline
   206-546-6092 / hayrafatah@gmail.com
6pm Potluck, 7pm meeting
Convener: Murad
   (425) 483-6511 / phil.notermann@gmail.com
Scribe: Helen
Interim Committee:
Murad (425) 483-6511 / phil.notermann@gmail.com
Hayra (206) 546-6092 / hayrafatah@gmail.com
Date: Thurs Nov 12
Location: TBD 
6pm Potluck, 7pm meeting
Convener: TBD
Scribe: TBD
Interim Committee:
Murad (425) 483-6511 / phil.notermann@gmail.com
OCTOBER 8, 2015                      download pdf

ATTENDANCE: Murad (convener) / Brian (scribe) / Carrie Olson / John Birnel (Voice for Peace) / Hayra / Martha

LOCATION: Hayra’s house in Shoreline

DANCE: Bismillah Round

===ANNOUNCEMENTS==========

  • Aramaic prayer night is at Keystone on December 9 @ 7pm - note: early start time
  • Murad and Hafiz are also considering offering a pre or post December 9 training on the Aramaic prayer.

===TREASURERS REPORT==========

  • Paid $360 for insurance for a year
  • $4086.00 in Treasury
  • Please note: the amount reported above includes $400 from Oneness Project for a youth retreat travel cost scholarship.

===BURTON UPDATE==========

  • Retreat center is full (30 people) which is close to break-even point
  • Total of 48 attendees so far
  • Camp attendance usually ends up in the 70s
  • SCHOLARSHIPS: $205 is the cabin price. Scholarships are up to 50%, so, those receiving scholarships pay at least $102.50
  • We will offer 100% scholarship to Sundari for 2015
  • We (the planning committee) want the Camp Burton Retreat to continue the tradition of inclusion (for guest-dance-leaders and guest-musicians i.e. non staff-leaders and nonstaff- musicians)
  • We prefer guest leaders (non-staff leaders) be “woven in” to a number of sessions as opposed to just one session
  • Brian has agreed to be Musician Boshi
  • Michael Sheehan has agreed to handle the wireless microphone/headset
  • Martha has reserved wireless microphone/headset---from American music---for the Nov 6-8 weekend
  • Martha will arrange to get Matin’s amplifier up here from the Salem area
  • Decorating Team: Elizabeth Dequine / Evie Fagergren / Jamil Townsend / Jonnel / et al

===FACEBOOK==========

  • Themis wants to know if it’s a good idea to post Wednesday dance EVERY week (doesn’t want to overwhelm people with extra email). She will look into options. We suggest she might continue Sundari’s plan of action (weekly announcements created as an event, etc).
  • It increases our visibility on Facebook when recipients “like” such announcements on Facebook, so this is encouraged.
  • Someone (as a moderator) has been approving applications to the group The current settings say: Membership Approval: any member can add or approve members.
  • Brian will make Carrie and Themis moderators.
  • Brian will bring list of moderators to the next meeting
  • Current policy sez:
       Membership Approval: Any member can add or approve members
      Which can be changed if we decide to do so

===YARD SIGNS==========

  • Brian has sent the pdf to the printer.
  • v5 has one error / Brian will correct the mistake and send v6

===REPLACING 2 SIGN HOOKS at KEYSTONE==========

  • Hooks for signage are broken at Keystone. John will buy new hooks and install them.

===TRANSPORTATION REIMBURSEMENT / HONORARIUM==========

  • Brian suggested reconsidering our "Out of area leader honorarium" (see below) and provided a chart that clearly displayed adjusted transportation compensation, based on actual miles. The formula also included various levels of compensation for estimated vehicle wear-n-tear.
  • Honorariums could also be added, but would be a separate item so that we can clearly see what we are offering to traveling leaders and musicians.
  • Current policy: below, as taken from http://seattledup.org/policies_2014_oct.htm  (go to item #5)
    • Out of area leader honorarium—3/4/2011 and 10/6/2011
    • Planning meeting will fund up to 5 invited visiting leaders per calendar year, no one leader more than once per year.
    • An invited guest leader coming from outside Seattle but within a 50 mile radius will be given $50, and $75 will be given a leader coming further than 50 miles.
    • The Seattle Dance Leader Team will decide and schedule which leaders will be invited. (this is the last point in the policy)
  • Brian will bring a more detailed plan to be discussed at NOV or JAN meeting.
  • Some discussion that the wording of the policy (but perhaps not the substance) could be clearer in terms of it being an 'Honorarium/Transportation Reimbursement' policy vs. simply an 'Honorarium' policy.

===INTERIM COMMITTEE DECISIONS==========

  • Decided not to buy materials from Wali & Arienne for the library
  • Decided not to offer unused DUPP scholarship money, allotted for the Wali & Arienne event, to help finance the Wali & Arienne event in general
  • Decided to allow sewn centerpiece to be taken down to Tacoma for the Wali & Arienne event. Brian expressed concerns over this because he considers the sewn centerpiece to be the most valuable---and irreplaceable---item in the suitcase.

===FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS==========

  • Facebook update
  • Transportation and Honorarium policy (Brian)
  • Policy of Inclusion at Camp Burton retreat
Next Meeting: Thurs Nov 12
Location: Phil & Helen’s
22405 39th AVE SE, Bothell, WA
425-483-6511 / helengable@gmail.com
6pm Potluck, 7pm meeting
Convener: John (206) 782-6129 / jbirnel@comcast.net
Scribe: Helen? (Hayra as backup)
Interim Committee:
Murad (425) 483-6511 / phil.notermann@gmail.com
John  (206) 782-6129 / jbirnel@comcast.net
 Minutes   2008  |  2009  |  2010  |  2011  |  2012  |  2013  |  2014  |  2015  |  2016  |  2017
Policies (as of Feb 2017)  Read   pdf   •   Original Vision Team Report  (from 2003)  Read   pdf
   NOVEMBER 12, 2015    download pdf  
Location: Phil & Helen’s
22405 39th AVE SE, Bothell, WA
425-483-6511 / helengable@gmail.com
6pm Potluck, 7pm meeting
Convener: John (206) 782-6129 / jbirnel@comcast.net
Present: Brian, Hayra (VP), John, Phil, Helen, Martha
Scribe: Helen
Interim Committee:
Murad (425) 483-6511 / phil.notermann@gmail.com
John  (206) 782-6129 / jbirnel@comcast.net

Opening Dance: Allah in 4 Directions

Treasurer's report: Bank account baseline is stable, at roughly $4000. Camp Burton made a profit, but the exact amount is still being calculated. The updated accounts will be announced at the next meeting.

Interim committee report:

  • $49 was approved for stamps for NA holiday cards.
  • Decision about canceling the regular Wednesday evening on 12/30/2015 due to Global Peace Dance being held the next evening was deferred to the Dance Leader Team, which decided to cancel 12/30/2015.
Vashon Regional Retreat report:
Overall impressions: Dancer evaluations will be compiled, which will tell us more about actual camper experience. Overall, the retreat seemed quite successful, with a strong leadership team that worked well together.
We discussed a few issues to monitor for next year's retreat:
  • menu
  • entryway into dance space
  • reminders about taking conversations into foyer
  • movement of musicians in and out of the center.
Date for 2016: camper preference was definite for the first weekend in November, i.e. Nov 4-6, which has been reserved with Camp Burton. The planning meeting following the 2016 retreat will tentatively be on November 16.
Headset and clip-on mic: the rented lavalier didn't work as expected, but Martha was able to return it without cost. We discussed a number of issues that would need to be addressed before renting another amplification set-up, i.e., which type of mic or headset, how many set-ups, personnel and lead time needed. No decisions were made.


Facebook Update: Brian created an uploaded a new header. Themis is putting out a weekly announcement.

Beautification Suitcase Update: Our suitcase materials weren't needed at Vashon, due to the generosity of Farishta, Hayra and Elizabeth, who all loaned items for the event. Extra fabrics are still at John's home, available for review or rotation.

Yard signs Update: Some have been taken by dancers and some put out on Wednesday night. They are hard to read while driving by at night, and only a few can be kept at Keystone.

Notations on calendar for special nights: If a special theme is planned 2-3 weeks in advance, Brian can get it on the calendar in addition to a dupnw announcement. A separate flier and/or webpage will require 4-8 weeks notice.

Items for January Meeting:

  • transportation policy
  • financial report from Camp Burton.

Closing Dance: Sura of Love

Next Meeting   Jan 14, 2016
Location: John's
   719 N 68th St, Seattle
   (206) 782-6129 / jbirnel@comcast.net
6pm Potluck, 7pm meeting
Convener: Helen
    (425) 483-6511 / helengable@gmail.com
Scribe: Brian
Interim Committee:
John / (206) 782-6129 / jbirnel@comcast.net
Hayra / (206) 546-6092 / hayrafatah@gmail.com
Helen / (425) 483-6511 / helengable@gmail.com
   DECEMBER      
No meeting in December
Next Meeting
  Jan 14, 2016
Location: John's
   719 N 68th St, Seattle
   (206) 782-6129 / jbirnel@comcast.net
6pm Potluck, 7pm meeting
Convener: Helen
    (425) 483-6511 / helengable@gmail.com
Scribe: Brian
Interim Committee:
John / (206) 782-6129 / jbirnel@comcast.net
Hayra / (206) 546-6092 / hayrafatah@gmail.com
Helen / (425) 483-6511 / helengable@gmail.com


 Minutes   2008  |  2009  |  2010  |  2011  |  2012  |  2013  |  2014  |  2015  |  2016  |  2017
Policies (as of Feb 2017)  Read   pdf   •   Original Vision Team Report  (from 2003)  Read   pdf


  Pictures: Roots | World | Seattle-1 | Seattle-2 | Seattle-3 | Seattle-4 | Seattle-5 | Seattle-6 | Leaders-1 | Leaders-2
Friends:
 One  Two  | insui | Habib | SundariLama | Zakira | Friends-1 | Friends-2 | Florabunda Farm:  One  Two  Three  Four
  Whidbey Whales | Bellevue30th Anniv:  One  Two  Three  PDF  | Camp Burton
Village Potluck:  One  Two  | Whidbey Whales | Bellevue
webmaster: brian@briandina.com / 425-485-2019

NOTE: Some of our Dancers are highly sensitive to fragrances (soaps, natural essences,
perfumes, colognes, hair spray). Please do not wear these to Dance events if possible