Minutes for: Open Business Dance Meeting - 2016
   
     
 Minutes   2008  |  2009  |  2010  |  2011  |  2012  |  2013  |  2014  |  2015  |  2016  |  2017
Policies (as of Feb 2017)  Read   pdf   •   Original Vision Team Report  (from 2003)  Read   pdf
  JANUARY 14, 2016 - Thursday - Open Dance Community Business Meeting    download pdf
Location: John's
   719 N 68th St, Seattle
   (206) 782-6129 / jbirnel@comcast.net
6pm Potluck, 7pm meeting
Convener: Helen
    (425) 483-6511 / helengable@gmail.com
Scribe: Brian
Interim Committee:
John / (206) 782-6129 / jbirnel@comcast.net
Hayra / (206) 546-6092 / hayrafatah@gmail.com
Helen / (425) 483-6511 / helengable@gmail.com

Opening Dance: Bismillah Round

  • Facilitator: Helen
  • Voice-of-Peace: Hayra
  • Scribe: Brian
  • Attendence: Hayra / John / Helen / Phil / Martha / Brian

===Treasurers Report==========

  • Approx $4300 in funds
  • January rent paid
  • Insurance, paid yearly, in October

===2014/2015 - Money/ Attendance==========

  • 2014: approx $100/night ---and--- 26.5 dancers/night
  • 2015: approx $100/ night ---and--- 22.5 dancers/night
  • FULL "week-by-week" CHART     download PDF  /  download Excel Spreadsheet

===Camp Burton Retreat Evaluation======

  • Results of evaluation were highly positive.
  • DATE of next retreat: A strong preference was expressed---via the post-retreat evaluation forms---for maintaining the retreat on the 1st weekend of November. Next retreat will be: Nov 4-6, 2016

===Camp Burton Finances========

  • Made a small profit of $171.25
  • That’s after giving out 13 partial scholarships

===Honorarium for Out-of-Town Leaders==========

  • Brian will come up with IRS compensation chart ($0.56.mile) and present it on Feb 11
  • Helen will write up modified proposal from the current guidelines and present it at the Feb 11 meeting (this is likely the proposal we will go with)

===Meetup.com==========

  • Meetup.com made an error in calculating our fees for the next 6 months. As a result, they have agreed to give us 6 months service FOR FREE! (thru June 15, 2016)
  • In order to more effectively draw in people who sign up for the Dances of Universal Peace Seattle group, we have agreed to the following message that Brian will send out to new members:
  • Welcome to Dances of Universal Peace! We teach all the dances each time, so no experience necessary. You can get more information about the Dances by going to http://PeaceDancing.org On the first page is a pdf that tells you about what to expect at Dance. If you wish, you can download and read it...or not. Either way, we look forward to meeting you and seeing you at the Dances!
    ~Brian 425-485-2019

===Global Peace Dance (GPD): on New Year’s Eve==========

  • About 45 people total attended. Peak---around 10:30pm---was approx. 28 dancers.
  • Hayra made about $60 profit and will keep that to supplement next year’s GPD. Hayra enjoyed the help she received in setup and clean up.
  • Next year Hayra will have signs near the entryway as to where to place food items, where the bathrooms are, etc, so that people can be settled & centered before they come into the dance space.

===Wilderness Dance Camp Youth Scholarship===========

  • John will research the options and possibilities.

===To Do===========

  • John will check out New Connexions magazine for advertising options

===Future Agenda Items===========

  • John will tell us what he finds out about WDC scholarships
  • John will tell us about advertising possibilities at New Connexions Magazine
  • Helen and Brian will make presentations on Honorariums for Out-of-Town Leaders

Closing Dance: Medicine Buddha

Next Meeting
Date: Feb 11, 6pm potluck / 7pm meeting
Location: Phil & Helen’s
   22405 39th AVE SE, Bothell, WA 98021
   heleng@igc.org / 425-483-6511
6pm Potluck, 7pm meeting
Convener: Martha
    inoffice@dancesofuniversalpeace.org / 206-367-0389
Scribe: John
Interim Committee:
☯ Helen / heleng@igc.org / 425-483-6511
☯ Martha /inoffice@dancesofuniversalpeace.org / 206-367-0389
☯ Hayra / hayrafatah@gmail.com / 206-546-6092
  FEBRUARY 11, 2016        download pdf
Date: Feb 11, 6pm potluck / 7pm meeting
Location: Phil & Helen’s
   22405 39th AVE SE, Bothell, WA 98021
   heleng@igc.org / 425-483-6511
Convener: Martha
    inoffice@dancesofuniversalpeace.org / 206-367-0389
Scribe: John

Present: Martha (Facilitator), Lesley (selected as Voice for Peace), Phil/Murad, Helen and John (Scribe).

Dance to begin: “The Time Has Come”.

Announcements:

  • Approximately June 29-July 3 a 4-5 day DUP retreat will be held at Kootenai Lake, BC Led by Murad and Tom Halim Schmeling from the East Coast.

Treasurer’s Report: Murad noted $4544 in the account at present.
Tithe to the DUP International: It was agreed to send $500 for this year to the DUP International organization.

Meeting schedule for DUPP: It was agreed to change our meeting day to the 3rd Monday at least for the next 2 months, vs. the current 2nd Thursday, which has become a scheduling conflict for 2 of our regular members. March 21st and April 18th are our next 2 scheduled meetings.

OLD BUSINESS:

New Connexions: John reported that the website for New Connexions was not illuminating as to ads. Some more general discussion ensued about publicity for special events. More brainstorming on this topic is scheduled for next month.

Vashon Planning Committee: It was agreed that Martha, John and Hayra would comprise the 2016 Vashon Regional retreat planning committee, with Murad offering to serve as backup if needed.

NW Harvest Night: It was decided to set 2/17/2016 as the annual NW Harvest night in which all proceeds for that evening will go to NW Harvest. Phil will send out an email to the DUPNW list serve to invite dancers to attend and give generously.

Scholarships to Wilderness Camp: John updated re: clarifying emails he had received from Misty, from the sponsoring organization The Oneness Project, and also the registrar for the weeklong camp scheduled for 8/21-8/27/2016 this year, and with Linda Lindsay,
also from the Oneness Project: It is not just for leaders that Oneness has scholarships, but also for dancers, for up to ½ the cost of camp. Misty noted that the funds would be on a first come, first serve basis, to be approved, and with the balance received, by July 30th. Linda, nonetheless, noted that scholarships gave preference to young people, children and families.

In any case, as per the 1/3/2016 email inviting us all to the camp, we were invited as a Dance Circle, to match that scholarship in any way we might like. Brainstorming ensued about how much we might offer totally and individually($100 each?, hopefully to be matched by Oneness), to whom (concentrate on Dance Leaders, starting with our own team of 9, say $50 to each?) (Dancers who come regularly to Seattle DUP, or more
broadly geographic distribution within our region?) Hopefully, a resolution will emerge after more discussion at the next meeting.

CLOSING DANCE: “Merry Meet”

TO DO:

  • Martha to call together the Vashon Retreat Planning Committee to begin the process of recruiting and selecting leaders for the November 2016 weekend retreat.
  • Murad to send out notice re: 2/17/16 NW Harvest night.

DEFERRED OR CONTINUED TO NEXT MEETING:

  • Decision re: matching scholarships to Wilderness camp.
  • Discuss perhaps donating more to the DUP International, or elsewhere.
  • Deferred finalization of wording and possible modification of policy on Honorariums for Leaders coming from out of area-Helen and Brian.
  • Decision re: regular meeting dates (stay with 3rd Monday or not) for May 2016 and beyond.
  • Publicizing individual DUP special events.
Next Meeting:
Date: March 21 , 6pm potluck / 7pm meeting
Location: Lesley’s / 4263 144th Lane SE, Bellevue, WA
                 
kneads4u@comcast.net / (425) 643-1108
Convener: John / jbirnel@comcast.net / (206) 782-6129
Scribe: Helen

Interim Committee:
Lesley: kneads4u@comcast.net / (425) 643-1108
John: jbirnel@comcast.net / (206) 782-6129
Martha: inoffice@dancesofuniversalpeace.org / (206) 367-0389

 Minutes   2008  |  2009  |  2010  |  2011  |  2012  |  2013  |  2014  |  2015  |  2016  |  2017
Policies (as of Feb 2017)  Read   pdf   •   Original Vision Team Report  (from 2003)  Read   pdf
  MARCH 21, 2016  -  Open Dance Community Business Meeting         
Date: March 21 , 6pm potluck / 7pm meeting
Location: Lesley’s / 4263 144th Lane SE, Bellevue, WA
                 
kneads4u@comcast.net / (425) 643-1108
Convener: John
   jbirnel@comcast.net / (206) 782-6129
Scribe: Helen

Interim Committee:
Lesley: kneads4u@comcast.net / (425) 643-1108
John: jbirnel@comcast.net / (206) 782-6129
Martha: inoffice@dancesofuniversalpeace.org / (206) 367-0389

Present: John (Facilitator), Martha, Elizabeth, Sarah Halima, Murad (vfP), Helen (scribe), Brian, Hayra, Lesley

Opening Dance: Abdun Shakarun (the grateful servant)

Announcements:

  • Oneness Project Grant last year allowed support for transportation of young adults to Camp Burton. We only used $140 of the $400 grant. OP agreed to roll over remainder so we have $260 to work with this year.
  • Aziza and Murad are doing "I Am" cycle Wednesday 3/23
  • Treasurer Report: $4173 in the treasury after all current expenses paid.
  • Interim Committee: no actions needed

Publicity:

  • We brainstormed a number of ideas: outreach to ethnic communities, advertising at community centers, bumper stickers and see-through decals, "Bring a Friend to Dance Tonight" event, invite natural affinity groups and attend their events, local circle T-shirts, a party to dream into what increased magnetism would feel like. No decision was reached.
  • "Next Door" social media (nextdoor.com). John joined the site, and has posted the "I Am" dance. 300-400 families live in John's neighborhood; announcements can go to contiguous neighborhoods too. The site is not for promotion, but members can share a special event.
  • Meet-up continuation decision will come up in April.

Funding Focus (continued discussion):

  1. Oneness Project has some matching-funds available for this summer's Wilderness camp. We could use some of our extra funds to send youth or to subsidize some of our leaders. Hayra proposed up to $1000 limit be approved in this category, with priority to youth, but exact criteria and per-person amounts not decided. The interim committee can make such decisions if necessary before April's meeting. We approved this proposal. Brian will put an announcement on the website, with Hayra as the contact person.
  2. Hayra proposed that some of our extra funds be available to the Camp Burton retreat planners for travel expenses (up to $1000) for a youth leader at Camp Burton this fall. Scholarships, a youth-dedicated cabin, and support for transportation expenses for youth are already available. We approved this limit.

Out of Area Leader Honorariums:
We adopted new language:

  1. Planning meeting will fund up to 5 invited visiting leaders per calendar year, no one leader more than once per year.
  2. An invited visiting guest leader will be offered a $75 honorarium. The honorarium is intended for leaders who live outside the Seattle area and who do not regularly lead in Seattle.
  3. The Seattle Dance Leader Team will decide and schedule which leaders will be invited.
    See full details of Policies

Fall Retreat Planning committee update:
   • Martha, John, Hayra were original committee, but Hayra withdrew. Murad is willing to serve.
     The committee will meet in next week or two.

Quorum policy:
To review, our by-laws state that a quorum is 4 people who have attended 2 of the last 6 meetings, with at least 2 being dance leaders.
   • See full details of Policies

Agenda Items for Next Meeting
   • We will decide future scheduling (Monday vs Thursday)

Closing dance: Ehud Yahid

Next Meeting
Date: April 18 , 6pm potluck / 7pm meeting
Location: Lesley’s / 4263 144th Lane SE, Bellevue, WA
                 
kneads4u@comcast.net / (425) 643-1108
Convener: Martha
         inoffice@dancesofuniversalpeace.org / (206) 367-0389
Scribe: Helen

Interim Committee:
Murad: Murad / phil.notermann@gmail.com / (425) 483-6511
John: jbirnel@comcast.net / (206) 782-6129
Martha: inoffice@dancesofuniversalpeace.org / (206) 367-0389

  APRIL 18, 2016                                  download pdf
Location: Lesley’s / 4263 144th Lane SE, Bellevue, WA
                 
kneads4u@comcast.net / (425) 643-1108
Convener: Martha
         inoffice@dancesofuniversalpeace.org / (206) 367-0389
Scribe: Helen

Interim Committee:
Murad: Murad / phil.notermann@gmail.com / (425) 483-6511
John: jbirnel@comcast.net / (206) 782-6129
Martha: inoffice@dancesofuniversalpeace.org / (206) 367-0389

Present: Brian, Murad, John, Martha, Hayra, Helen, Lesley
Scribe: Helen
Voice for Peace: Hayra

Opening Dance: Alhumdulilah

Announcements:

  • May 11 Dance will be devoted to Tara
  • Several Dance Team leaders are taking sabbaticals:
    Lesley--summer and fall quarter
    Farishta--summer quarter
    Jennifer -spring and summer quarter

Treasurer's Report:
We have $3783 in the treasury after current expenses.

Interim committee:
1) changed meeting location for this month to Lesley's home,
2) agreed to sponsor a practice session prior to a regular dance evening, to be paid by the requesting dance team member

Fall Retreat update:
leader choices are still in process. Retreat dates are November 4-6, 2016.

Website: On Youth webpage, scholarship availability for Camp Burton retreat will specify "under 35". Wilderness scholarship notice will not be changed.

Scholarships: Matching funds for Wilderness Dance Camp may be available this year, with priority to youth. We have received a request from two applicants. We decided that the two who have applied so far be approved for 50% of registration fee, hopefully to be matched by Oneness. We will consider applicants until the early registration date (May 20) or until the total approved amount ($1000) is allocated, with priority to youth or dance leaders. The Interim Committee will make any time-urgent decisions. Hayra will continue to receive applications and is willing to communicate with Oneness and applicants.

Meeting Dates: We will return our meetings to 3rd Thursdays until further notice.

Quorum: Original policies from Vision Team documents, which contain the full language describing quorum requirements, have now been posted on website.

Meet-up Renewal: Should Meet-up be renewed at $15 per month or $180 per year? 225 people are registered, and occasionally someone has come to a Dance through the Meet-up announcement. We agreed to renew for 6 months. Brian will investigate whether "Peace dancing" can be used in the header without losing members or causing extra expense. Brian will see whether any regular dancers are listed who might be encouraged to "rsvp."

Themis is still monitoring our Facebook page.

Photography: We will not have photography this summer unless we have a special event that will draw a large group.

Closing Dance: Allah Hayy Hu

Next Meeting
Date: May 19 , 6pm potluck / 7pm meeting
Location: Phil's / 22405 39th AVE SE, Bothell, WA 98021
                 
phil.notermann@gmail.com / (425) 483-6511
Convener: Hayra / hayrafatah@gmail.com / 206-546-6092
        John as backup: jbirnel@comcast.net / (206) 782-6129
Scribe: Brian

Interim Committee:
Martha: inoffice@dancesofuniversalpeace.org / (206) 367-0389
Hayra / hayrafatah@gmail.com / 206-546-6092
John as backup: jbirnel@comcast.net / (206) 782-6129

 Minutes   2008  |  2009  |  2010  |  2011  |  2012  |  2013  |  2014  |  2015  |  2016  |  2017
Policies (as of Feb 2017)  Read   pdf   •   Original Vision Team Report  (from 2003)  Read   pdf
MAY 19, 2016                                    download pdf
Tme: 6pm potluck / 7pm meeting
Location: Phil's /  22405 39th AVE SE, Bothell, WA 98021
                 
phil.notermann@gmail.com / (425) 483-6511
Convener: Hayra / hayrafatah@gmail.com / 206-546-6092
        John as backup: jbirnel@comcast.net / (206) 782-6129
Scribe: Brian

Interim Committee:
Martha: inoffice@dancesofuniversalpeace.org / (206) 367-0389
Hayra / hayrafatah@gmail.com / 206-546-6092
John as backup: jbirnel@comcast.net / (206) 782-6129

===ATTENDANCE========
John / Hayra / Martha / Zarifah / Murad / Brian

===ANNOUNCEMENTS============

  • Tara Night (Wed-May 11)
    Hayra – evening well received and well attended. It may become an annual event.
  • Zakira Dance (Sun-May 15)
    Hayra encourages people to visit Zakira
    Murad – says Zakira is good at setting appointment times for people to visit her
  • We agree to assess at the beginning of each meeting as to whether or not we have a quorum.

=====TREASURER’S REPORT============

  • We are paid up thru May at Keystone
  • Thru October with the liability insurance
  • Balance is $2950
  • MeetUp.com will charge us $90 in June for 6 months membership.

DANCE: Tara the White

=====FALL RETREAT===============

  • Martha has done research by contacting mentors around the country looking for Youth leaders. She will get on the phone with John and Murad soon, to discuss options.
  • Martha has contacted the new director at Camp Burton to work out prices and contracts.
  • Preliminary flyers have been sent for distribution at SKY Camp in Eugene area.

====WILDERNESS MATCHING FUNDS=======

  • Martha and Hayra will cover this, as opposed to the interim committee handling it
  • They will accept requests until the DUPP money($1000) runs out
  • So far, 4 checks have been mailed out, for a total of $825.50

===USE OF DUPP LIABILITY INSURANCE======

  • Murad – A non-Seattle Dance Leader has requested our sponsorship of an outdoor dance event in Mount Vernon, especially using a certificate issued by our liability insurance.
  • Request declined
  • Future Agenda Item: Liability insurance: use and breadth
  • Phil agreed to research our current policy to clarify the current breadth of our coverage.

===REQUEST TO HELP FUND ATTENDANCE AT A SUFI CAMP=======

  • Declined

DANCE: Hi Minuta

===REVIEW PROCDURE FOR CHANGE OF DANCE TEAM MEMBERS=====

  • SDT has sent card of appreciation to Majid
  • SDT has informed DUPP (tonight)
  • JOHN, or someone he recruits, will inform the community
  • JOHN will get a card that the community can sign
  • MARTHA will email Majid about getting her key to Keystone returned to us
  • Future Agenda Item: Who distributes keys to Keystone? / Who assures the return of the key when someone leaves? / Should we keep better track of this? /etc

===CLOSING UP AT KEYSTONE=======
1. Church wants windows closed AND locked (including windows is green-room/ musicians-room)
2. Turn off Thermostat
3. Turn off lights (except the exterior light over the front door)
4. Lock the front door doors.
Future Agenda Item: Who is responsible for closing up?

==USE OF YARD SIGNS======

  • Hayra – signs not being put up outside the church on Wednesdays
  • John - Signs are hard to see from cars e.g. on 50th St. They are more visible to foot traffic...especially with the longer daylight hours.
  • We resolved to encourage those who come early to, if possible, put up a few yard signs around the church; at least on the parking strips on the East and North sides

===KEYSTONE MAINTENANCE ISSUES======

  • Possible fundraiser for Keystone to do maintenance on the building
  • Possibly coordinate with other groups that use the church, to do the same
  • Future Agenda Item: Possible fundraiser and coordination with other groups

===FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS===========

  • KEYS: Who distributes keys to Keystone? / Who assures the return of the key when someone leaves? / Should we keep better track of this? /etc
  • Peace Dancing Business Cards
  • Who is responsible for CLOSING UP after Wednesday dance?
    Arrangement for backup help in closing on evenings with guest leaders
  • Possible FUNDRAISER for Keystone to do maintenance on the building?
  • Liability insurance: use and breadth
  • Phil agreed to research our current policy to clarify the current breadth of our coverage

DANCE: Thy Light is In All Forms

Next Meeting
Date: Thurs-June 16
Tme: 6pm potluck / 7pm meeting
Location: John's (near Green Lake)
                 719 N 68th St, Seattle
                
(206) 782-6129 / jbirnel@comcast.net
Convener: Phil
                   (425) 483-6511 / phil.notermann@gmail.com
Scribe: Helen (Hayra as backup)

Interim Committee:
Hayra / hayrafatah@gmail.com / 206-546-6092
John: jbirnel@comcast.net / (206) 782-6129
Phil (425) 483-6511 / phil.notermann@gmail.com

June 16, 2016                        download pdf
Tme: 6pm potluck / 7pm meeting
Location: John's (near Green Lake)
                 719 N 68th St, Seattle
                
(206) 782-6129 / jbirnel@comcast.net
Convener: Phil  
                   (425) 483-6511 / phil.notermann@gmail.com
Scribe: Helen (Hayra as backup)

Interim Committee:
Martha inoffice@dancesofuniversalpeace.org / (206) 367-0389
John: jbirnel@comcast.net / (206) 782-6129
Phil (425) 483-6511 / phil.notermann@gmail.com


Present: Murad (facilitator), Helen (scribe), John, Hayra, Martha (VfP), Brian. (quorum present)

Dance: Zoroastrian Elements

Announcements:
• Bruce's farm forecloses mid-September, he is encouraging visits.
• Murad is co-leading a retreat in B.C. late June/early July.
• Solstice evening 6/22 with Lisa and Hayra, musicians Aarti and Ron Ward

Interim Committee Report: no activity

Treasurer's Report:
Balance in account, with expenses paid through July: $2439.90 (through June $2789.90).
Scholarship money ($1000) was all granted, and was all matched by Oneness Project. No big
expenses anticipated.

Fall Retreat: Martha composed list of 11 youth leaders in U.S., committee contacted 4, one replied. Other known local dance leaders are also being contacted. Save-the-date flyer went out to Sky Camp and will go to Trout Lake retreat.

Peace Dancing Business Cards: When re-printing, should we change cards to read "Peace Dancing"? Does the new phrasing make any difference in drawing people? We decided to explore printing some with "Peace Dancing" and using both the old and new cards. Brian will bring prices and a potential design for September meeting.

Weekly Dance meeting day: Friday or Saturday were suggested by a guest leader due to potential better attendance. We would need to research Keystone availability, other competing events, loss of many people knowing when and where to find us. If the idea still looked like it had strong merit, the next step would be a survey of dupnw list.

Keys: Dance leader team was originally given a number of keys which have since then been duplicated as new people join the team. No good system has existed to get keys back from leaders as they leave the team. Majid will return her key to Martha, who volunteers to assist with tracking. The matter is returned to the Dance Leader Team.

Closing up: Dance leader(s) of the evening are responsible for closing Keystone. Guest leaders need someone else to close up, which is often done by Brian, Hayra or Murad. John and Martha volunteer to be back-up closers. Duties are to put away suitcase, replace tables, check thermostat, close and lock windows, turn all lights off including bathrooms but not the front porch, replace torchiere lights, lock front door.

Keystone fundraiser: Church has hosted us for many years, does many other good works. Their building needs maintenance. What if we suggested a joint fund-raiser with other organizations who use the building? What are the church's priorities? Do we have enough energy to organize something? Potentially invite each tenant to demonstrate something and make it a networking neighborhood event? We would need at least one person to be the point person/coordinator for our group. Hayra will consider that role for sometime in the future and is authorized to contact Pastor Rich to explore possibilities.

Liability insurance: Murad started to review the policy, but didn't complete the review. Tabled to next meeting.

Sticky church windows: Next Wednesday we will try to locate the sticky clerestory windows, then make a laminated map to keep in suitcase. If that doesn't work, we can look into labeling the windows themselves.

Items for next meeting:
• Update Camp Burton plans
• Consider scheduling planning meeting during daytime instead of evening
• Revisit idea of different evening for weekly Dance meeting
• Brian will bring prices and design for business cards
• Murad will review and report on liability policy
• Hayra will report about potential fundraiser for Keystone Interim Committee:

Last dance: Kalama

Next Meeting
Date: Thurs-Sept 15
Tme: 6pm potluck / 7pm meeting
Location: Phil & Helens (Bothell)
                 22405 39th AVE SE, Bothell, WA 98021
                 phil.notermann@gmail.com /  heleng@igc.org  
                 425-483-6511
Convener: John
                    jbirnel@comcast.net / (206) 782-6129
Scribe: Helen

Interim Committee:
Martha inoffice@dancesofuniversalpeace.org / (206) 367-0389
John: jbirnel@comcast.net / (206) 782-6129
Phil (425) 483-6511 / phil.notermann@gmail.com

 Minutes   2008  |  2009  |  2010  |  2011  |  2012  |  2013  |  2014  |  2015  |  2016  |  2017
Policies (as of Feb 2017)  Read   pdf   •   Original Vision Team Report  (from 2003)  Read   pdf
JULY - No Meeting this month

 

  AUGUST - No Meeting this month                                                                            
 Minutes   2008  |  2009  |  2010  |  2011  |  2012  |  2013  |  2014  |  2015  |  2016  |  2017
Policies (as of Feb 2017)  Read   pdf   •   Original Vision Team Report  (from 2003)  Read   pdf

 

SEPT 15, 2016                 download pdf
Tme: 6pm potluck / 7pm meeting
Location: Phil & Helens (Bothell)
                 22405 39th AVE SE, Bothell, WA 98021
                 phil.notermann@gmail.com /  heleng@igc.org  
                 425-483-6511
Attendance: John (facilitator), Hayra (VfP), Phil, Brian, Martha, Helen (scribe with Hayra sending out)
Scribe: Helen

Interim Committee:
Martha inoffice@dancesofuniversalpeace.org / (206) 367-0389
John: jbirnel@comcast.net / (206) 782-6129
Phil (425) 483-6511 / phil.notermann@gmail.com


Quorum: yes

Opening Dance; My Lord is a Rock

Announcements:
1. Thank you card from Wilderness matching fund scholarship recipient.
2. Hafiz and Murad leading Aramaic in Portland 10/22. Musicianship welcomed. Flyer will be posted on website if available soon.

Interim committee report:
Some scholarship recipients couldn't go at last minute, decided not to award to anyone else. We received a refund.

~ ~ ~ OLD BUSINESS ~ ~ ~

Clerestory window map:
Casual decisions were made in the moment, didn't systematically check. 1-2 windows were opened on each side, which worked and seemed sufficient. Martha made notes which can be

Camp Burton update:
Retreat center is full, which means we've met the break-even point. Martha plans to email former campers who then trickle in registrations. In recent years we've approved a pot of $350 to start scholarships. Scholarship is half a cabin fee. Now Burton has a camp manager and a conference director doing Kathleen's job. Burton is choosing not to raise prices in 2017 as they usually would.

Brian hasn't decided about being musician boshi.
If Brian can’t make it, Lesley will be backup boshi.

Do we want to try a microphone again?
Last year the wrong type was brought and technical difficulties prevented it being used; the mechanics of many leaders using it are complex. Martha will check with main dance leaders to see if any of them are interested; if any of them wants to use it, we'll make it available and Brian is willing to manage it.

Planning meeting time moved to daytime:
Suggested time: We discussed pros and cons of having a daytime meeting. Will link the October meeting to the nearest Wednesday dance, 3-5pm meeting, 5-6pm potluck.

Revisited consideration of moving Keystone Dance to a different weekly time:
We will continue to hold the public meeting on Wednesday nights.

Promotional Materials:

Brian presented two designs of our business cards, one with "Peace Dancing" and the other with "Dances of Universal Peace." Box of 1000 is about $25. Box of 2000 cost $30. We decide to purchase 2000 of "Peace Dancing" unless the finalized price is significantly different.

Not many printed signs remain--some were just taken from the street. We might re-print them (two-sided) in the Spring.
Liability insurance question:

We are insured at Keystone and Camp Burton.
We previously decided not to extend coverage for one requested event at another venue and will not extend our insurance for other usage at this time.

Fundraiser for Keystone:
No progress to report.

Break: delectable dessert by Hayra

Treasurer report:
$3274 assets. Insurance is due in October, approximately $400.
Annual averages so far at Keystone: approx 20 people and $85/night.

~ ~ ~ NEW BUSINESS ~ ~ ~

New PR idea:
We decided to offer Dancer/free-lance writer, Brenda Neth $77 if she writes and places another article about the Dances in a publicly distributed publication. Hayra will contact her.

Facebook:
In recent years notices were sent out on Facebook similar to dupnw announcements, which were "liked" by a few members. Dances of Universal Peace Seattle has a page, but we don't have an active point person posting on it. Would need a good "story" sent out frequently. Hayra will see if she can find out what Salim did in the past. John may be willing to be the point person.

Future advertising option:
Next year we could advertise 201
7 Camp Burton in Canada via "Issues for Empowerment" magazine, which would cost approximately $100 US for a business card sized ad. We decided not to act on this suggestion, but to send flyers to Nelson dance circle and Koolaree Dance Camp next year.

Hayra also shared a full color introductory flyer from Mt Vernon that looked attractive to her. No action was determined.

Closing Dance: Grace Kyrie

Next Meeting
Date: Wed, Oct 19
Tme: 3-5pm meeting / followed by potluck
Location: John's
                 719 N 68th St, Seattle 98103
                 (206) 782-6129 / jbirnel@comcast.net
Convener: Myrad
                    425-483-6511 / phil.notermann@gmail.com
Scribe: Brian

Interim Committee:
John / (206) 782-6129 / jbirnel@comcast.net
Hayra / 206-546-6092 / hayrafatah@gmail.com
Murad / 425-483-6511 / phil.notermann@gmail.com

OCTOBER 19, 2016     -    Download pdf
Next Meeting
Date: Wed, Oct 19
Tme: 3-5pm meeting / followed by potluck
Location: John's
                 719 N 68th St, Seattle 98103
                 (206) 782-6129 / jbirnel@comcast.net
Convener: Myrad
                    425-483-6511 / phil.notermann@gmail.com
Scribe: Brian

Interim Committee:
John / (206) 782-6129 / jbirnel@comcast.net
Hayra / 206-546-6092 / hayrafatah@gmail.com
Murad / 425-483-6511 / phil.notermann@gmail.com

Attendance: Hayra / Phil (facilitator) / Elizabeth / Martha / John (VOP) / Brian

Dance: Abwoon d’bwashmaya

===Announcements==========

  • Nov 2 – dedicated to Sundari / Dick will probably be there
  • At Camp Burton there will be give-away items from Sundari’s closet and spiritual collection, plus silent auction items
  • Aramaic Dance in Portland on Oct 22
  • Aramaic Prayer in Seattle on Wed-Dec 14
  • Global Peace Dance WILL happen on Dec 31. Facilitator TBD. Contact Hayra for now.

===Transportation money for Lu=========

  • for the Aramaic on Dec 14 – $75 APPROVED!

===Treasurer’s Report==========

  • Paid $251 Insurance for full year
  • $2995 in bank.
  • Keystone paid thru October

===Camp Burton===========

  • Already have as many people as we had total last year
  • At least a dozen new people (lots from Portland)
  • At least a dozen Canadians
  • Martha and Brian have set up microphones with American music: $191.80 for TWO headsets/transmitters/receivers ---and--- mixer/amp/speaker
  • Let’s all pay attention to: (1) how long it takes to get the headset set from one dance leaders to the next (2) how well the system works in general. We will discuss the pros & cons at of the headset at the November 16 DUPP meeting.
  • Brian asks that Sunday afternoon survey include the question:
          “How did the microphone work for you? As a Dancer? As a Dance leader? As a musician?”
  • Oneness Project Youth travel grant, balance forward from 2015 = $260
    We reviewed spending that money for youth expenses. Martha will decide.
  • Policy Change by camp: (1) Security deposit = $1500 (post-dated check)
  • Date conflict for 2017: on Nov 3-5, 2017, Saadi will be in Eugene.
    Possible alternative dates for 2017 Camp Burton: Oct 27-29 / Nov 10-12 / Nov 17-19
    Martha and Hayra will put out feelers for conflicts with other local groups (Dance/Sufi/etc)
  • Martha will then handle possible polling of 2016 Camp Burton retreaters. Final decision on 2017 date will be made at November 16, 2016 DUPP meeting.

===Global Peace Dance============

  • Concerns about liability clauses in contract with Phinney Ridge Lutheran Church
  • Hayra prefers to be at Shoreline Community Acupuncture. Hayra will handle it.
  • If anyone wants to research an alternative location, contact Hayra.

===Scholarships for Saadi/Tasnim Retreats======

  • APPROVED $300: Farishta to allocate funds. If not used, funds are returned to DUPP

===Healing Dance==========

  • Elizabeth tells us that she gets plenty of feedback on how much people appreciate the Healing Dance tradition.
  • Whomever comes on board will need to get on healing@seattledup.org
  • Phil will take it on.
  • Elizabeth will send template to Phil
  • We all agree that we will keep an eye out for a backup to Phil.

===Facebook==========

  • John will take DUPNW announcements about upcoming dances and follow them up with Facebook announcements.
  • •John asks that any dancer leaders, in addition to Elizabeth Dequine, who also post on Facebook, advise him so that he does not double-post on Facebook. Also, that he will need some lead time to post on Facebook.
  • Hayra will let Dance leaders know about this arrangement.
Next Meeting
Date: Wed, Nov 16, 3:00pm
Time:
   Arrive - 3:00 / Meeting starts 3:15-sharp
   Meeting - 3:15 to 5:15pm meeting /
   Potluck - : 5:15
Location: John's
                 719 N 68th St, Seattle 98103
                 (206) 782-6129 / jbirnel@comcast.net
Convener: Hayra
                    hayrafatah@gmail.com / 206-546-6092
Scribe: Brian

Interim Committee:
John / (206) 782-6129 / jbirnel@comcast.net
Hayra / 206-546-6092 / hayrafatah@gmail.com
Murad / 425-483-6511 / phil.notermann@gmail.com

 Minutes   2008  |  2009  |  2010  |  2011  |  2012  |  2013  |  2014  |  2015  |  2016  |  2017
Policies (as of Feb 2017)  Read   pdf   •   Original Vision Team Report  (from 2003)  Read   pdf
   NOVEMBER 16. 2016         download pdf
Time:
   Arrive - 3:00 / Meeting starts 3:15-sharp
   Meeting - 3:15 to 5:15pm meeting /
   Potluck - : 5:15
Location: John's
                 719 N 68th St, Seattle 98103
                 (206) 782-6129 / jbirnel@comcast.net
Convener: Hayra
                    hayrafatah@gmail.com / 206-546-6092
Scribe: Brian

Dance: Tane Mahuta

Attendance: John / Hayra (facilitator) / Phil (VofP) / Brian (scribe) / Martha

===GPD====================

  • December 31st, 8pm-1am as usual. This year in the Open Space at Shoreline Community Acupuncture (18505 Firlands Ave N, ½ block off of Aurora where busses run frequently) where Shoreline DUP meets monthly.
    Contact: Hayra 206 546-6092 hayrafatah@gmail.com for more info --or-- click here for full details

===Healing Night=============

  • Phil says it’s going well and will continue the process.

===Business Cards===========

  • Changed web address on card to "PeaceDancing.org"
  • We agree to print 2000 cards for $47.99

===CAMP BURTON FALL RETREAT 2016=============

  • FOOD: Martha spoke with Erin (events director at Burton) after the retreat. There was a substitute cook during our retreat. Erin wants to work with us to make sure we get the food the way we want it next time (to accommodate special needs). They (Camp Burton) want to learn about dairy-free, gluten-free, vegetarian etc. Martha will work with them over the next year.
  • FINANCIAL
    ~Income roughly $14,700
    ~Expenses roughly $13,500
    ~Final tally forthcoming
    ~In the Jan-2016 minutes, we included the following info for the 2015 Burton retreat:
===Camp Burton Finances===
Made a small profit of $171.25
That’s after giving out 13 partial scholarships
  • AUCTION - $280 came in for the scholarship fund for 2017. Gratitude to Sundari and Dick for the donation of her lovely things.
  • MICS - Consensus was that it worked well
    ~We’ll get more input from feedback forms and discuss in January
    For Next Year:
    ~Get a slightly bigger speaker for more volume.
    ~We’ll get extra wind-screens, so that “breathing” issue will be minimized.
    ~Better placement of mics (just below corner of the lips) will also help “breathing issue”
  • ROSTER
    ~ For 2016 we will publish picture and name Martha will send out email asking for permission to publish contact info.
    ~We will only publish contact info for those who respond “YES”
    ~For 2017 we will ask for permission---in advance, on the roster check form on the table---to publicize contact info on the website
  • ASSISTANT
    We might consider getting an assistant for Martha for 2017---maybe give that person a scholarship.

===TREASURER’S REPORT=========

  • approx. $3000 counting Burton finances (which are not finalized)

===RENEWING MEETUP=============

  • More announcements for Special Events
  • Most of us are on the fence, but ultimately we decided to continue for another 6 months, and will reconsider again at the May meeting, before the next renewal date of June 15.

===POSSIBLE POLITICAL ASSUMPTIONS=======

  • Concerns about possible political assumptions and political discussions at dance meetings and on dupnw. Various opinions expressed at this DUPP meeting. We will discus this again at the January DUPP and at February Dance Leaders’ Retreat.

===FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS==========

  • Input about headsets from feedback forms
  • Final financial report for Camp Burton
  • Consideration Burton assistant for Martha in 2017---maybe give that person a scholarship.
  • Potential additional stipend for Martha’s extra work in coordinating with new Burton staff.
       Consideration for both 2016 and 2017
  • Discuss “Possible Political Assumptions” (see item above)
NEXT  MEETING
Date: Jan 19, 2017 / 6pm potluck / 7pm meeting
Location: Phil & Helen's
                 22405 39th AVE SE,                    
                 Bothell WA 98021 / 425-483-6511
                   phil.notermann@gmail.com

                   heleng@igc.org
Convener: John
                    (206) 782-6129 / jbirnel@comcast.net
Scribe: Helen (Brian as backup)

Interim Committee:
John / (206) 782-6129 / jbirnel@comcast.net
Hayra / 206-546-6092 / hayrafatah@gmail.com
Murad / 425-483-6511 / phil.notermann@gmail.com

   DECEMBER  -  No Meeting in December

Next meeting: Jan 19, 2017

 Minutes   2008  |  2009  |  2010  |  2011  |  2012  |  2013  |  2014  |  2015  |  2016  |  2017
Policies (as of Feb 2017)  Read   pdf   •   Original Vision Team Report  (from 2003)  Read   pdf


  Pictures: Roots | World | Seattle-1 | Seattle-2 | Seattle-3 | Seattle-4 | Seattle-5 | Seattle-6 | Leaders-1 | Leaders-2
Friends:
 One  Two  | insui | Habib | SundariLama | Zakira | Friends-1 | Friends-2 | Florabunda Farm:  One  Two  Three  Four
  Whidbey Whales | Bellevue30th Anniv:  One  Two  Three  PDF  | Camp Burton
Village Potluck:  One  Two  | Whidbey Whales | Bellevue
webmaster: brian@briandina.com / 425-485-2019

NOTE: Some of our Dancers are highly sensitive to fragrances (soaps, natural essences,
perfumes, colognes, hair spray). Please do not wear these to Dance events if possible